Is it supoosed to be this bad during cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Looks like diatoms which is normal for a newish tank. However with nothing living that requires light you are only contributing to the problem. Turn the lights off.

^^^^ agree ^^^^

I got it bad also. Keeping the lights off and water changes cleared it up for me rather quickly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when I was cycling both my SW tanks I actually welcomed the blooms and let them get as bad as they could. My thought process was the massive outbreak would soak up any remaining nutrients left in the LR or sand bed for when I did begin stocking. Once again this is just something I came up with and might be way off lol

Mrc8858 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but when I was cycling both my SW tanks I actually welcomed the blooms and let them get as bad as they could. My thought process was the massive outbreak would soak up any remaining nutrients left in the LR or sand bed for when I did begin stocking. Once again this is just something I came up with and might be way off lol

Yes diatoms are a good sign during the beginning of a tanks life. Diatoms consume silicates in your sand rock etc and usually the do this once and die off after all or most of the silicates have been consumed.

Yea it's everywhere and I got crabs and snails in there

Back
Top Bottom