Is this enough filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

excited_newby

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a prizm skimmer and a an aquaclear 200. What I am wondering is, is this enough filtration to keep this tank healthy with a few fish under these two situations:

Just cycle and then add fish.

Add 10 lbs of live rock to cycle, then add fish.

Add say a wet/dry (biowheel) filter and then addfish. Cycling fish of course.

Any tips would be nice! Thanks a lot.

The only filtration I use is live rock. I would recommend upping you live rock to about 60 lbs. However the filtration you have will get you by until you get the live rock up to snuff.

Use the 10 lbs of uncured LR to cycle your tank. I would'nt use a fish to cycle. I think you will have better success using the LR for filtration than a wet dry. I have a 20 gallon with nothing but about 30-35lbs of LR, a prizm skimmer and lots of flow. While cycling use the aquaclear 200 for flow only, no sense in ruining a filter pad during the cycle. Once the tank has cycled you could run a pad in the aquaclear if you want. Wait until the tank has cycled to add any fish. If you don't want the LR use a raw shrimp like rossv suggested. Don't even worry about turning on the skimmer for a month after it has cycled, there just won't be anything there to skim out. If you have the prizm, use the surface skimmer attachment and the filter media basket (for GAC) both will help with DOC 's.

I have used all types of mechanical filtration. Filter pads catch waste and the water flows throught it. Essentially you are filtering you tank with a waste pad. I have found the 2lbs. of live rock per gallon, and a skimmer(this is even optional) is the best filtration you could possibly have.

Allright, well I still searching for someone in my area who is tearing down a tank and wants to get rid of their LR. We are a school group doing this so there is no way that we can pay the going rate for 40 + lbs of live rock.

Just to get your guys opinions on things, there is a place in Winnepeg (canada) that is selling base rock for really cheap (like $1.50 a pound) but is has been kept in the tank with their figi live rock so they claim that it has decent coraline growth. What do you guys think. Will this turn into LR on its own?

PS - If anyones hears that someone is tearing down a tank and they want to give away the LR we would be happy to ship!

TIA

Oh yah I also forgot. I recognize that the aquaclear is a crappy filter, and doing zip biologically. We got it before we understood SW, and now it will just be to keep the water looking clean (we have a sponge and carbon in it) and for water movement.

The base rock, if it is with live rock now is probably already seeded and IS live rock. It would be excellent to use.

Back
Top Bottom