LFS water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, my tank is mainly my tap water that i've added talk to, and dechlorinator....now, how bad would it be if i added the water from the bag that i brought my new inverts home with? Really bad?

i wouldn't do it, and not because your local fish store water is bad, but because anytime a fish is bagged and moved it gets stressed and defacates and releases urine in the bag which is not something u would want to add in your tank. We've already got enough to worry about with our tank. Why add more toxins?

Think about how the water from LFS is circulated between the tanks. Now think of all the people here who have gotten ich or other parasites from new fish at the LFS. The water in the bag may transfer these problems into your tank.

Really, you should pour that bag and water into a clean bucket, and then do a drip acclimation for an hour or so, then net the fish/inverts from the bucket and place them in the tank. And ideally you should have a quarantine tank...but I realize that's not always an option for everyone. At least with inverts there's less of a risk of them carrying parasites and diseases.

Back
Top Bottom