Live sand ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

superdave07

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting up my 39g tank and I was going to buy about 40lb of live sand. My is on the size of the sand it said on the product description Particle size is less than 1mm (with most particles less than .6 mm). Is that good for my tank I also want to know how deep to make the bed I want it to be a deep sand bed

I used all live sand in both my tanks. Works great. Even got a couple of hitchhikers in it. :) a deep sand bed from my understanding is about 4-6". For a 39g, that'll probably be 60-70lbs? I'm guessing. I used 30lb in my 30g and 80lb in my 55, and my sand beds about 3".

I love the natures ocean sand, bio activ I think it's called. Have it in both tanks and never had an issue. I have gobies and starfish and all sorts of stuff living in the sand bed. I have found that it creates minimal clouding. I have also tried and hated the carob sea brand. The particles size is all over the pace wit some chunks mixed in and it's ver fine and creates a lot of clouding, even after it settles. They gobies made a huge mess with it. I tore down a tank because of it and started over with the nature ocean.

I find the natures ocean the same price for the 20lb bag and a much better product overall. Not that this makes a difference, but I heard tanked tv show uses the natures ocean too. I use the Fiji pink color which is pretty much white/natural instead of the gold color,which to me looks a bit dirty.

Good luck!

Will this make a mess? It's $32 free shipping I will have gobies as well this one is less then 1mm

image-306025667.jpg

I didn't like it all. Petco has the natures ocean bio active 20lb bag for 26.99 worn free shipping over 49.00. 2 bags gets the shipping deal.

It's on sale at petco. It says you can add fish right away, but you have to cycle just like you normally would.

Good luck

Attachments

• image-3114566332.jpg
    image-3114566332.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 84
Rosesrblu1 said:
I didn't like it all. Petco has the natures ocean bio active 20lb bag for 26.99 worn free shipping over 49.00. 2 bags gets the shipping deal.

It's on sale at petco. It says you can add fish right away, but you have to cycle just like you normally would.

Good luck

How about this one ?

image-123068201.jpg

It's their sku 708950. Their have a few types, but this is the one we have in our 180g fowlr and 54g reef.

It's still the Carib sea brand. I didn't like it, but others use it. I prefer hands down the natures ocean.

Good luck

It's the .07-1.5 size. Put it in after the water. If you put in after the water you can mix the salt water in the tank. Lay the bag in the bottom of the tank and cut it open in a big x. Gently pull out the bag and it will creat minimal clouding.

Rosesrblu1 said:
It's the .07-1.5 size. Put it in after the water. If you put in after the water you can mix the salt water in the tank. Lay the bag in the bottom of the tank and cut it open in a big x. Gently pull out the bag and it will creat minimal clouding.

I used Natures Ocean too. And I added it just like describe here. Only had cloudy tank for 2 days in a 55g with 80# LS.

I used 25 pounds of Caribsea live sand and 30 pounds of Fiji cured live rock in my bio cube 29.

All is well.

I used Caribsea Fiji pink in both my tanks.Goby has a mouth full and spits it out. Hook up a hob or magnum if you have one it clears and settles nice.

Back
Top Bottom