Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #381
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
GoldfishJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
Yeah they are awesome until they start taking over, in my case though they dont have a chance. The magicians are the only ones who have tried to take over, the others just stick to their own territories but have also made expansion towards the ricordeas as they are blocking most of the light. I have some pallys on the same rock as the ricordeas but they have been destroyed by the shrooms.
Nice. Love to see pics of them!
__________________

__________________
GoldfishJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #382
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rpbustillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 538
Tank is amazing, great job!
__________________

__________________
Rpbustillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #383
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ronin77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eagle Point, Oregon
Posts: 318
Glad to see you didn't get discouraged and give up.
__________________
Ronin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #384
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
GoldfishJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 434
Thanks guys!

I'm glad I didn't. It was a long hard battle. I'm still working on getting the tank the way I want it. I need way more rock... I want to expand my sump... Redo the plumbing.. I want to put LED's in the sump... Have a list of products I still want. Little by little it's getting there. So far I'm happy with how it's turning out but it's still a lot of want. I swear I need a second job for this hobby. Haha... At least just so I could buy all the awesome things I want to get for the tank. Haha
__________________
GoldfishJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #385
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ronin77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eagle Point, Oregon
Posts: 318
Hahaha I hear you, takes forever to get your wish list for these dang tanks. What brand of a generator did you use? One of my must haves, Hondas are awesome, but not sure if I want to shell out that much moolaw
__________________
Ronin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #386
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
GoldfishJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin77 View Post
Hahaha I hear you, takes forever to get your wish list for these dang tanks. What brand of a generator did you use? One of my must haves, Hondas are awesome, but not sure if I want to shell out that much moolaw
We have a small Honda and we borrowed my parents generator which was also a Honda. We found out the reason behind why they didn't work. I guess the power from the generator wasn't clean enough to power the pumps... Whatever that means... My bf talked to the electricians at his job and they said something like that. I'd have to get a UPS to clean up the power from the generator to the pumps apparently a generator isn't steady enough to power them. From what I understand the wattage on both generators were sufficient for it Idk if all that is true but with two of them not working I'd say it's a logical explanation for it. So we got a ups and have yet to try it. .

Sorry, I'm not to keen on electrical stuff... But as long as the power heads run and I'm not out of power for more than a day. I think I should be okay.
__________________
GoldfishJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #387
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ronin77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eagle Point, Oregon
Posts: 318
Is your pump big? my tanks a baby compared to yours, mines only 54g corner with a mag 7 pump
__________________
Ronin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #388
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
GoldfishJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin77 View Post
Is your pump big? my tanks a baby compared to yours, mines only 54g corner with a mag 7 pump
To be honest I don't remember what GPH the return is but it's pretty big. The generator wouldn't turn on my skimmer either and the skimmer isn't that big of a pump. So idk. I inherited this tank. Still needs a lot of work. Need to buy a replacement return pump incase that goes out too. Ugh! More $$$... Hahaha... It never fails.
__________________
GoldfishJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #389
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Ronin77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Eagle Point, Oregon
Posts: 318
Funny you said that, the pump that came with my tank used was a Mag5 till it crapped out. That movie Never Ending Story should be about hobbyists and their reef tanks!!! Lol
__________________
Ronin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #390
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
GoldfishJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin77 View Post
Funny you said that, the pump that came with my tank used was a Mag5 till it crapped out. That movie Never Ending Story should be about hobbyists and their reef tanks!!! Lol
Hahaha.. No kidding!!
__________________
GoldfishJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #391
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
huma-huma's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: washington Pa
Posts: 5,257
I paid $300 for my used 125 setup, put over 2g into it just in upgrades, and im spending another grand in january upgrading lighting and a controller... It truly never ends
__________________
my 125g Sw...Round 2!https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-286438-4.html
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #392
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,245
I don't know about that... Eventually the tank just runs itself. Upgrading after that is just a learned and addictive behavior. Can be addressed with needs vs wants therapy, just like narcotics. Doesn't make wanting those vortechs any less hard though!
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #393
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
huma-huma's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: washington Pa
Posts: 5,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Doesn't make wanting those vortechs any less hard though!
i was disagreeing with you until this part....completely 100% true lol
__________________
my 125g Sw...Round 2!https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...220171-33.html
ever see someone cut a 125g in half??
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...-286438-4.html
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #394
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Evansimp's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 874
Looks really great!! so clean!
__________________
20 Gallon Nano Reef
Evansimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #395
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
GoldfishJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansimp View Post
Looks really great!! so clean!
Thanks Evan! Trying to measure up to your tank. I'm a quarter of the way there!
__________________
GoldfishJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #396
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Evansimp's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishJoey View Post
Thanks Evan! Trying to measure up to your tank. I'm a quarter of the way there!
Haha you've definitely surpassed me! You're tank is awesome!

My tanks not doing well right now, and is looking pretty bare right now haha
__________________
20 Gallon Nano Reef
Evansimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #397
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishJoey View Post
Thanks guys!

I'm glad I didn't. It was a long hard battle. I'm still working on getting the tank the way I want it. I need way more rock... I want to expand my sump... Redo the plumbing.. I want to put LED's in the sump... Have a list of products I still want. Little by little it's getting there. So far I'm happy with how it's turning out but it's still a lot of want. I swear I need a second job for this hobby. Haha... At least just so I could buy all the awesome things I want to get for the tank. Haha
What happend?
__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #398
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
GoldfishJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansimp View Post
Haha you've definitely surpassed me! You're tank is awesome! My tanks not doing well right now, and is looking pretty bare right now haha
Ahhh I don't believe it! What's wrong with the tank? :/
__________________
GoldfishJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:15 AM   #399
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
GoldfishJoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman007 View Post
What happend?
Fishman I lost all but my blue damsel to what I thought was ich but it was marine velvet. Fish died within two days... One after the other... I was going to swap my fish out to my lfs and I lagged on it and as a result it wiped out my tank. I lost hope after that. It took me a couple of months to get back into it. I was disappointed about it all... Long story short I got a tickle to get back on track and QT any fish prior to entering my DT. Lesson learned.
__________________
GoldfishJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #400
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North carolina
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishJoey View Post

Fishman I lost all but my blue damsel to what I thought was ich but it was marine velvet. Fish died within two days... One after the other... I was going to swap my fish out to my lfs and I lagged on it and as a result it wiped out my tank. I lost hope after that. It took me a couple of months to get back into it. I was disappointed about it all... Long story short I got a tickle to get back on track and QT any fish prior to entering my DT. Lesson learned.
Sorry for your losses . After a few rounds of ich in my 37 i decided to always QT new fish and it helps me sleep at night knowing that i wont wake up next morning to an infestation.
__________________

__________________
Fishman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.