Mike's Algae Powered Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's awesome! For a minute I thought you were in my boat!

I use a similar setup with fishing line hooked around a clear pipette. It works great feeding the Mantis, but so far the closest I've gotten with the Angler was he ate a frozen Krill off the end and spit it back out.

Crazy thing is that when I feed my homemade mash, he opens his mouth and directs some of the water and tiny bits of the food in. Tomorrow I am planning to use a 1/4" size piece of the unfrozen food and see if he takes it. If so that would be amazing.

Thanks. That is very odd he wants the frozen mash of food. I have read some accounts where the angler won't eat food unless it has a head lol sounds odd but who knows for sure what is going on with these crazy fish. Hopefully yours will start eating frozen stuff soon. I couldn't imagine trying for as long as you have been.

Glad you got him to eat! You guys are crazy for taking on such a hard fish lol.

Are anglers really hard at all? I've heard they are smewhat hardy. I'm thinking about getting a dwarf angler for y 40b reef. Anything besides bubble coral I should stay away from?

They're hardy if you can get them to eat haha. They're super easy fish besides feeding. Feeding is hard.

Think they'd accept guppies to start them feeding? I have a guppy breeding setup that's pumping guppies out constantly.

Yea I would stick with saltwater feeders but do you think they would get the angler to start eating possibly?

Yeah probably. But like mine... I had a clown goby and a chromi in there for 2 days and he tried catching them but just couldn't... However mine is still a little tyke.

I wouldn't use guppies. Damsels / chromis and live shrimp are best for an angler who doesn't want to eat frozen . And yes feeding seems to be the biggest issue so far. Also I would stay away from any coral that is easily damgaged.

Yea I love my corals to much so I might have to wait on getting an angler. I will probably just wait and do a species specific tank for him. Thanks for the tips about feeding; Ill probably avoid using freshwater feeders.

No problem. I also should mention that you will be restricted on corals since the angler needs a low flow tank so most sps are a no go. I have shrooms , frogspawn, Duncan and rics so far . They do great in species only tanks . IMO it's the only way to go.

If I did any corals it'd be a Zoa garden for the angler to frolic in.

Tried feeding some table shrimp and scallop today with no success. Put in a silverslide with the head still intact and it was taken immediately . Will try mixing shrimp with the silverslide head next week. Merry Xmas .

Can anyone tell me if it is normal for a Duncan to stretch like this.

Attachments

• image-2501395097.jpg
    image-2501395097.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 129
Green with pink tentacles . I have a better pic a few pages back . I was thinking they wanted more light but what do I know lol.

Back
Top Bottom