My first coral: Devil's Hand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just got my first coral! And I was wondering if it was normal for a coral to look bad when acclimating. Here is a pic. At the store I was told I needed to have my lights on for 10-12 hours a day, and he gave me this liquid food to feed it once a week. Any advice would be great because this is my first coral. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-4174719297.jpg
    image-4174719297.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 408
How many watts per gallon are you running (lighting)on your system?

Well I have 34 gallon redsea aquarium, but I am not exactly sure how many watts. at the store they said it would be ok because they know that lighting. Thanks for your help!

Here is a pic in the light, been in tank for about 1 hour and a half.

Attachments

• image-4003286723.jpg
    image-4003286723.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 365
oh it is normal for a coral to close up, they are adjusting to the differnt light, like when a human squints when goign from dark to bright. if it stays closed then there is a problem

Should be fine it takes time for everything to settle in. I guess my watts in my sps reef tank do not mater to Much. I'm not sure why you would not want to if you have enough proper lighting in a reef tank. Sorry I did not specify t5, led, metal halide. Red sea stuff works very well your leather coral will often shed it's skin and will close up it's polyps. Also at night they do the same. Make sure you have a lot of flow. And aklinity is at an adequate level. I have 3 leather coral and they all had a sort time closed up at first.

It made progress overnight !!!

Attachments

• image-4125746728.jpg
    image-4125746728.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 292
Very cool as long as those little polyp stay out in the light it's in good shape heres a pic of mine with a little something hiding inside. It's just a finger leather.

Attachments

• image-4219569827.jpg
    image-4219569827.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 179
Well, I have all sorts of problems today! lol. My devil's hand hasn't opened up since friday! I must be doing something wrong with my corals:banghead:

redsea said:
Well, I have all sorts of problems today! lol. My devil's hand hasn't opened up since friday! I must be doing something wrong with my corals:banghead:

How's the flow in the tank. And where is you aklinaty level.

Flow over your leather is very in portent. Leathers will also tell you your alkaline levels are to low. Ph should be closer to 8.2 or 8.3 in a reef. Try a good buffer or a more reef salt mix like red sea coral pro.

Back
Top Bottom