need help with new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr.diggler

Aquarium Advice Activist
ABout a week ago i received a 26 gallon bowfront tank with all necessary equipment. My friend no longer wanted to take care of it. When i got it the ph was below a 7 and the salinty was off the scale. I got the ph to about 8.0 and the specific gravity to 1.022 and the temp at 79 degrees. Not really sure what it is meant when you guys talk about cycling. Any advice, the tank really got pushed on me, but i am really into it now. Should i be doing anything else besides what i did. There is one fish in the tank a yellow tang, it looks like there was a starfish in there but i'm guessing the fish bit it into three, because i noticed three little blobs which resemble starfish. Theres live rock in the tank the tang likes to feed on it even after he is fed. A local fish store told me that isnt a great combination, i told him that the fish went through hell and made it so i gotta keep him. Any suggestions of other fish that go well with him, specifically triggers i really like those.

Welcome to AA, the best dang Aquarium Advice index anywhere!!!!! 8)

Now to business...
How large is the tang? Your aquarium can hold about 5" of fish TOTAL, and not counting the tail fin. Your tang either is, or will get too big for that tank, I believe, because they get up to around 8". I realize that that he's a survivor so far, but I think leaving him in there is making one very unhappy fish. If you can get store credit at the LFS, you might consider taking it, and giving the aqaurium time to cycle.

The cycle is the processof growing the proper bacterias needed to break down organic wastes so that they will not produce toxins......it does to the water what trees do to the air, sort of. How did you set up the tank? Did you use the same water? Did he/she give you the sand that was being used? What all equipment did you get? What filter, powerheads?

I'm also worried about the effects that such a low ph has had on the tang. What was the salinity before you got it to 1.022? Sorry for the drilling, but we're going get you in the right direction ASAP! :wink:

Unfortunately, the tank will get too large for a 26g tank. It is not recommended to kep any tang in a tank that is less than 48" long. If I were you, I would return the tank and start stocking it with more appropriately sized fish, maybe a pair of clowns and one other small fish. Triggers also get too large for that size tank.

Have you done any waterchanges on this tank? If the guy you got it from lost interest in the hobby, it is likely it had been a very long time since he had maintained the tank. I would say a series of small waterchanges are in order, increasing the SG slowly to 1.025.

When i got the tank, it was still about half full.. THe equipment that was given to me was a fluval 204, berlin air-lift 60, wave generator, some air pumps etc....

I too agree that you should return the tang...I had one sold to me for my 30 gal tank and i found out here that he would get too big for the tank. After i introduced him to my tank, he got sick and as soon as i got him back to health, i made the decision to take him back to the LFS. I was really bummed b/c i really liked that fish :cry: But it is the best thing to do because he will start to get aggressive to other fish in the tank b/c he wants more room! Good luck with everything!

When i got the tank, it was still about half full.. THe equipment that was given to me was a fluval 204, berlin air-lift 60, wave generator, some air pumps etc....

Back
Top Bottom