New to this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok and in plumbing a sump can I just run over the top of the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, you can. You can use a HOb overflow box if you like and come over the top with the return as well.

Ok so how many pumps would I have to have?

What's a good led lighting brand and how do you know what pump is to much and what do you all use for a substrate?

First let me know what you plan to do...drill or HOB overflow. If it's going to be a HOB, you will need to size the pump to match the overflow after head loss. So, if it's a 1200 gph overflow, i would get a 1500gph pump give or take.
If you decide to drill, and pump will work up to what the overflow you choose is rated for.
1 pump is all you need for this.

Good LED lighting brand? What do you want to spend? Ecotech Radion pro's are pretty good. Pricey though. Aqua Illumination SOL Blue are good. AI Hydra are good.
What corals do you intend to keep?

I like to use aragonite based sand as substrate.

No idea on the coral something that's fairly easy and not super sensitive.

And price I don't want to break the bank if you know what I mean.

If you are on a budget then the led panels that youbuy on ebay are an awesome deal, about $100 a pop if that. Just make sure to get a dimmable model.

Hey X, I have to disagree on the "old" asm skimmers, maybe I have an uber one but mine pulls an immense amount of gunk outta my 180g and I have never had an issue with it overflowing or going wacky on me like with the reef octopus ones. lol I do have a big asm model but I still think it's an awesome piece of equipment.

AS far as corals.. look on some sites and see what you would like to keep, whether now or in the future and go from there as far as lighting. Always anticipate for the future so you dont have to buy twice. And as Mr. X stated, DO NOT go with the cheapest option as you most likely will have to replace it at some point. In this hobby quality is key not the price. A great deal isnt always such a great deal, I have found this out first hand.

I mentioned the old skimmers because they are made from extruded plastic and not from acrylic. A cheap substitute IMO. They bear the same pumps, so yes, they will work, but for the money...I'd rather have something better built.
I used to use an ASM G4X on my 300 gallon total volume system years back and Once I went to a MSX with 3 x sicce pumps, there was no turning back!
img_3154334_0_e756f1a32cf9c3c715c4807522746ae6.jpg

One of these per 2 feet of tank-
165W Dimmable Full Spectrum LED Aquarium Light Marine Reef Coral Fish Tank Lamp | eBay

Or one of these per 2 feet...
New Dimmable 120W Aquarium Coral Reef Fish Tank White Blue LED Grow Light US | eBay

Will be plenty of light for anything you want.

Hey X, is that the msx next to the asm on the left? Cause that looks like an awesome skimmer. lol I'm not sure which ASM I have but I believe it has a sedra 5000 on it.

The G4X had the Sedra 9000 on it. I believe' it's been renamed the G4+, and yes, that's the MSX skimmer next to it. Hmm..now that I'm looking at the old pic, I guess I bought the one with 2 sicce pumps....I could have sworn it was three. Oh well, it was the MSX 300.
If your skimmer is 24" tall, you probably have the G4.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm going with 2 165 watt on eBay for a little under 200. They dim so I figured that's about the best I could find. And this skimmer ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423255416.113058.jpg

Oh this guy said he had one on his 150 and it worked great but I don't know.

And on several tanks he does the up keep on so i was just taking his word on it.

There are so many skimmers that will work on your tank, and that's not one of them. You can put the worst skimmer in the world on a tank and it will pull some skimmate, but that doesn't mean it's the right match. Poor design and crappy pump IME. Not worth your time. You'll be buying twice if you get that one.

Ok so if I get one rated for 200g is there one less than $300

I think I might go with a sump if so I will use one of these.

Back
Top Bottom