New to this.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis mcb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to put together my 125g tank and have no idea I what I really need. I know I don't really want a sump. And is the skimmer/ filter combo any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Any reason why you dont want a sump? I thought the same way when I first started and now couldnt live without it. lol
Specially with a 125g, you will get better filtration and have an overall better and more stable system if you run a sump.

You will need a sump. I can recommend an easy to use and full proof sump that is very versatile. I have a 120 gallon salt water fish only.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The sump has a place for skimmer, but you can decide on that later.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well my stand is homemade and didn't think about a whole lot going under it when constructed and not exactly sure if I can fit a decent size sump under there. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423017919.068748.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423017934.122598.jpg

Even if you were able to get a Rubbermaid container under there that was rated food safe you could use that. It is up to the imagination when it comes down to getting the largest possible sump.

I will measure it tomorrow. And see what works.

Even a 40g breeder would be a great sump and would have no problems fitting underneath. Also, while it's empty, I HIGHLY recommend drilling the tank. It seems hard, but it's actually pretty easy.

Yeah I'm pretty dead set on not drilling it since it says do not drill I just don't want it to break and have that huge mess to deal with. Could you just run the pic over the top of the tank?

And on these breeder tanks do that have dividers in them or something?

And on these breeder tanks do that have dividers in them or something?

:lol: I thought the same thing when I first started. A "breeder" as in 40b is simply a dimension available. Reefer like them because they have a nice footprint, wide and shallow.

For a sump, you will want dividers though, assuming you DIY.

Oh ok yeah it's diy.

On the bottom support it says tempered glass do not drill.

I have to agree, drilling now will be the best thing you could do, well next to setting a sump up. :)
I will never go back to a hang on overflow, never had any floods but it could have easily happened. The 40b is ideal for that tank too as a sump, I use one on my 180g tank. Plenty of room for a decent skimmer and anything else you may wanna toss in there, depending on your needs at the time.
I know it sounds like alot of stuff, the sump and drilling, but trust me and the others, we have learned from our mistakes and only want to have you avoid our pitfalls. lol
I even drilled my 40b tank and stuck a 10g sump underneath. lol So easy and so much better to maintain the tank. You will thank us, thats a guarantee. lol

He doesn't have room for the 40 breeder. His stand is too narrow. He needs to use a 55. Yes, most bottoms are tempered, but very few sides. I'm going to drill my 300 gallon today. I'll document it with pictures and maybe videos to show you how ridiculously easy it is to do.

I'm trying to put together my 125g tank and have no idea I what I really need. I know I don't really want a sump. And is the skimmer/ filter combo any good?

No, to answer your question, the skimmer/filter combo things are garbage. A protein skimmer is a very important part of your system. You want something of quality. If you stay in this hobby for any length of time, you will regret buying garbage components. Ask here and buy once.

Thanks for actually answering my question. What's a good brand?

Reef octopus, vertex, ASM(the new cones, not the old ones), msx, atb, Seaside aquatics, bubble magus, aqua-maxx, jns...
Any of those brands will work, but remember to purchase a skimmer rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total system volume to be safe. Manufacturers loosely rate their skimmers. Bulk reef supply recommends getting the largest skimmer you can afford.

Back
Top Bottom