New Wet Dry Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silvabul10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a wet dry filter for a 75 gallon tank, a powerhead turning over the tank at 600 gallon per hour, and a protein skimmer for a 90 gallon tank on my 90 gallon tank which I bought 3 months ago. I am having problems with the tank because the wet dry is too small. So I am going to get a new wet dry. I was wondering what you guys think about buying one of the Aquaclear Pro 150 wet/dry filters with the protein skimmer built in for my tank instead of just getting a new wet dry alone. The filter is rated up to 150 gallons. I figured I will have alot less problems with my tank with that much filtration. Does anyone have any experience with these filters. Does the wet dry filter work ok and is the protein skimmer good. Also should I buy a powerhead that turns over more gallong per hour. Thanks

I have that filter and it does a good job. The skimmer works well. I use a Mag Drive 7 as a return pump. I did take out all of the bio-balls and replaced them all with 40lbs of LR rubble. If you are handy you can build your own sump for a lot less $$. All in all I am happy with my AquaClear 150.

Anyone else have the aquaclear 150?? Also why would you take out the bio balls to add more LR. I have 100 pounds of live rock in my 90 gallon tank. Is that enough? Should I buy more? Should I take out the bio balls?? Dont you have to somewhat recycle the tank if you do take the bio balls out??

People recomment taking the bio-balls out because they can become nitrate factories. Do a water test for nitrates and post it here. If they are on the higher end, you may see a drop by taking them out. The amount of LR you have is okay, but I would get more.

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't need to cycle the tank again by taking the bio balls out. Any experts want to comment on this? I'd sure like to know as well.

You can just take the balls out and add the live rock rubble. Liverock rubble is full of bacteria so it would replace any that was in the bio balls

I have been having a major problem with my nitrates. 2 months ago levels where off the charts. Lately the levels have come in at 30-40. How much more LR should I buy and where do you guys sujest getting it. The LFS or a website and which one. Where should I get the LR Rubble?

If you are going the w/d route, getting one with a built in skimmer is a good idea, it will save you a little work in getting things setup. With 100 lbs of rock in your tank, you have a pretty good bio filter going without the w/d at all. And as stated above, the w/d's can cause some nitrate problems if you don't stay on top of the maintenance.

Depending on where you get the rock or rubble, you may have some die-off once you get it in your tank. This can cause a mini cycle, especially if you pull all your bioballs at once. You probably have sufficient rock now to absorb the spike, but you would be better off to recure whatever rock you get, and swap the balls/rubble a section at a time. The easiest way I can think of is to start removing your bioballs now so that the full load of bio filtration is transferred to your rock over time, rather than all at once. Maybe pull 1/4 of the balls out each week for the next month. That will also give you enough time to cure your rock/rubble, and it will be ready to put in your tank.

If you go this route, you won't need to buy a new sump or w/d, just use the housing you have now. That will save you a lot of money.

As for where to get your rock/rubble. The cheapest method would be to buy plain base rock from your lfs. Besides rinsing it off, it won't need cured and will become part of your filtration in a couple days. If you want rubble, check garf.org and look for their "garf grunge". It's all aquacultured and from what I've read, a large mix from multiple tanks.

Also as for your nitrate problem, what kind of substrate are you using, and how deep is it?

If the 600gph # is true (did you factor in head height?) You are turning your tank over about 6 times an hour. Try to raise that to 10-15 times an hour and your filtration will be more efficient.

hth

You can see what yur LFS does with all of the rubble in the bottom of the boxes when they get LR. I get mine free from the LFS. They were just throwing it out. Now they just cure it along with the rock they get and call me when they empty the tank. It is a sweet deal. Some LFS around here sell it as well. It is something you will have to seek out locally. Here is why it is a better filter media then bio-balls. Simply put, LR does a better job at removing nitrates. The bacteria that consumes nitrate live in an anaerobic environment (without oxygen). Bio-balls are designed to harbor bacteria in an aerobic enviornment. (with oxygen). That is why water trickles over the bioballs and they are not completely covered. This does greate at removing nitrite, but not nitrate. Just fill up the bio-ball chamber with LR rubble and always ensure the rock is covered with water. This will give you the same benefits of the LR in your diaplay tank. You could also add another 40 lbs or so of LR to the main to help out.

Lando - Is there anything else people can use in the wet dry compartment besides LR and bio balls? I am having a time trying to get the lfs to give up their rubble. I don't want to use the bio balls, so I am look for another alternative if possible. Any ideas?

Mike

Mike...You can use the bioball chamber as a mini-fudge if you want. You would just need to add some light. Put in LS, or mud, a few large pieces of LR, mangroves and stuff. You can grwo calupera algea in there. That helps with nitrate removal. If you are having trouble finding LR rubble keep loking. You may end up just buying regular LR from the LFS and smashing it with a hammer into rubble. It does not have to be high quality LR as it is just going into the sump.

Those sound like some great ideas Lando. In the bioball compartment, how would I keep the LS or mud in there without it running into the sump? There appears to be wholes in there where the water trickles over right now.
With the LR rubble, or LR in general, do I need to put that underneath the bioball compartment so it is completely submerged? Thanks for the info.

Mike

I have two pics in my gallery of the LR rubble in my sump. They were taken when I had about 25lbs of rubble. It will give you an idea of what to do. Do you currently have a sump? Can you post a pic or two?

I'll check your gallery out. I have a wet/dry 125G that I am wanting to use for the skimmer and pumps. I just want to get rid of the bioballs since it could be a nitrate problem. I have been using the canister up to this point, and the nitrates have been 0 thus far. The only reason I got it was to get the equipment out of the main tank and into the wet/dry sump. I'll see if I can post some pics tonight if I get a chance. Thanks

Mike

How much LR do you have in your 90 gal.? If you have 150lbs or more with a DSB you may be able ot get by wihout adding anything to the sump. You can just use it for a place to hide equipment and to add water volume to your main tank. Some filter media in there would be my vote, however.

Right now, I only have about 65lbs. of LR. I am planning on adding more down the road, but I have spent my budget for the month already on lighting and wet/dry. The wife is getting aggravated with me. :roll:
I am going to check another lfs on the way home to see if they will part with their rubble or not. If not, then I am going to remove the bioballs and keep the canisters running until I can get some.

Mike

the reason I like the LR rubble is because it fits in the sump well and it is free! Or at least very inexpensive and you still get the great biofiltration benefits of expensive LR.

Back
Top Bottom