Nori & Seaweed - Same thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
probably. is it green? it most likely is. btw, you can get nori at the supermarket much cheaper than you can get it at the LFS.
just make sure there is nothing in the ingredients besides seaweed.

Many of the Nori distributors are also providers of the algae used in sushi rolls. As Mr. X stated, you want it in RAW form, untoasted.

Roasted is fine, just no other ingredients.
Look for something like this:
img_1180327_0_bb40638cfcd57bd8c8efcea066650424.jpg

img_1180327_1_703ef9e69313b5c80c6313e06c140b2d.jpg

innovator, i've seen the raw form, and i don't think we can use that. i always use the toasted nori (unseasoned).
are you sure you are using the raw stuff? that is some weird looking stuff!

Yes, Nori is seaweed in Japanese. I know this because I am part Japanese. I wouldn't recommend putting it in the tank as it sometimes contains soy-sauce and seasonings; it is meant for eating for humans, not fish or anything. Some also include sesame seeds, so basically, no. :)

so...what are you saying? are you saying you have to have some japanese ancestors in order to know the difference between unseasoned nori, and nori with soy sauce?

so...what are you saying? are you saying you have to have some japanese ancestors in order to know the difference between unseasoned nori, and nori with soy sauce?
No, just sayin that nori means seaweed in Japanese and that kind of seaweed is not meant for aquariums... Anyone can tell the type by looking at the package, I'm not stupid and you don't need to act like that.

well, it's exactly the same thing as the fish store has, except it's about 1/10 the price. i think your post is misleading.

btw, vodka isn't meant for aquariums either.

I get the dried (toasted) for about $8 for 50 sheets at the local Asian market. That raw nori is almost 4x that amount and is readily eaten by my herbivores.

RAW Nori is just that, meaning it is not seasoned or toasted (baked). The toasting process will strip nutrients from the product. Seasoned Nori contains additives for human consumption. RAW, untoasted, and unseasoned Nori is what most people should go for.

RAW Nori is just that, meaning it is not seasoned or toasted (baked). The toasting process will strip nutrients from the product. Seasoned Nori contains additives for human consumption. RAW, untoasted, and unseasoned Nori is what most people should go for.
And that is what i meant. Obviously its not what you want to put in your tank. You need to get RAW seaweed. And sushi seaweed if for SUSHI and usually includes ingredients not meant for fish but for flavoring. So you should look up some facts mr X.

Back
Top Bottom