open top or glass top??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dchi225

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
putting together everything for my 55 gallon reef build and have been trying to figure out if i want to leave it open top or glass top. if i use glass will it cut down on the intesity of my 4 bulb t5's. any input or opinions one way or the other would be greatly appreciated.

I know you can go open top if you want, but you will need to pay more attention to water evap and salinity levels.

I go topless. Less heat in summertime better gas exchange. Only downside is fish can jump out I only had a firefish jump. Three tanks all are topless.

I like open top. Better gas exchanges like someone said earlier. Plus using a top depending on the material can lower your par. Plus you will be cleaning the top constantly our the buildup will lower your par. I currently use the checkers eggcrate light diffuser material but I am going to switch to clear screen material sold by bulkreefsupply because the eggcrate is lowering my par too. Some people say with a open top you get salt all over the room. I have yet to notice this. Maybe around the tank like on equipment but I constantly wipe stuff down anyways

I have a two piece top that I can open or close. If its hot I open half then close it at night when it cools in the winter its down most of the time. With an open top your going to have a lot of evaporation, salt creep, fish could jump out.

Back
Top Bottom