PH staying below 8.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright I am trying to keep my parameters in check and since I switched to Oceanic Salt mix my PH will not stay above 8.2ppm? I been doing weekly water changes and for some reason my PH drops back down to 7.8. After water changes my PH is between 8.2 and 8.4..... Am I doing something wrong that it will not stay at a stable level?... Let me know...

Thanks guys:)

What time of the day are you checking them? Check it out after the lights go out.

During the Afternoon around 4 or 5pm CST. that's when I checked it. And I don't have a hardness test which I am working on to get. Could my Skimmer have something to do with it as well? I just clean it out and realized there was a lot of water in the collection cup after one day and I just did a water change on Saturday earlier morning which is my same routine every Saturday morning.... But all my other reading nitrite ammonia and nitrate are all @ zero.

Well I check this morning to see if there would be a change since it is still dark out. It's still @ 7.8 no change from yesterday. I am using API test kit which now that I know alot more I hate using them they are so not accurate colors are very hard to tell where I am @ well soon I will be getting my 100 gift card for Amazon and I'll get a few test kits that are needed with that.

Alright after the lights went out I checked my PH and it is still the same... I take it if I can't get my PH to be above 7.8 I would need some kind of PH buffer? hhhhhmmmm. My Turbo snails are starting to look a little sluggish.... :sad:

HHHHMMMMM, I did move my ph down more away from the surface could that be an issue why my PH is below normal?

Scott brings out a good point about good surface aggitation. Poor surface aggitation promotes poor gas exchange at the surface which causes low PH.

Well I put my ph by the surface. I also picked up a Salifert Alk/KH test kit. I have know clue how the direction want me to test this thing. Can someone tell how to test with the Alk bottle it only gives me Directions for the KH bottle? I take I would repeat the steps with the Alk bottle? let me know...

Thanks

Yup, directions are the same for both.

Add drop, swirl water; add drop, swirl water; add drop, swirl water; add drop, swirl water

Did I mention, add drop, swirl water

Count the number of drops and that your measurement in degrees.

if you want to convert it to ppm or something other than degrees you will, the instructions should give you the calculations. But, just the number of drops is a sufficient reading.

I am lost it says to count but why am I counting? am i suppose to add it to what the syringe ends with.... I understand up until the end it loses me.... :-(

Back
Top Bottom