phytoplankton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill302

Aquarium Advice Freak
Someone tell me something about phytoplankton I recently added a squamosa clam to my reef tank which I believe needs phytoplankton...Does phytoplankton grow naturally in my tank if I never added it? or do I need to add some?

Someone tell me something about phytoplankton I recently added a squamosa clam to my reef tank which I believe needs phytoplankton...Does phytoplankton grow naturally in my tank if I never added it? or do I need to add some?

There are ways to set up your system to house its own phytoplankton. I believe there's even a couple hang on systems to grow your own.

Alternatively you can buy phytoplankton supplements from your LFS.

You have to add it. There's some on ebay for $8-16, some with free shipping. I got the one from madhatter's reef. You can culture it too. Melev's reef has a good info/article about that.

The problem with plankton is that it is easy to overdo it. Too much will foul your water quality up quick. I had a squamosa for years and never added anything to the tank. They get all they need from the lighting and water column.

Back
Top Bottom