Picked up a 55g today, filtering questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daimyo68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, picked up a 55g bowfront today for $150, complete setup.

I was a bit iffy at first but then figured the tank, rock and fish alone was well worth the $

Brief Description:
The setup has been running for 1.5 years, and was maintained by a LFS for a business.

I'm assuming, from the condition of the tank, fish, corals that the filter has been doing it's job, and maintenance has been ok. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the inner glass was pretty dirty (I cleaned it all before completely reassembling the setup, and it's pretty spotless now).

Anyways, there's no protein skimmer, just a Emperor 400 hang-On filter, and a power head in 1 corner (See pics Below).

It has a 1 Porcupine Puffer, 1 Chocolate Chip Starfish, 2 clown fish, 1 Sea Urchin, 1 Sea Anemone, several Tube Anemone's, and 3 small Turbo Snails.

Seeing that the tank has been running for the time it has, I can say that with regular maintenance, the Emp400 is sufficient, but I do have more Live Rock that I want to add and, at some point like to add a few more fish.

So I'm looking for recommendations for filter, if needed, and should I add a Skimmer? (Hang on because the tank is not drilled, unless I went with a sump setup).

Thanks in advance!
/D

dsc02791z.jpg

dsc02788p.jpg

dsc02785v.jpg

dsc02775g.jpg

dsc02774.jpg

dsc02778i.jpg

dsc02789a.jpg

dsc02767t.jpg

Thanks, I actually picked up 2 new tanks this week, the one above and a 70g Oceanic setup. the 70 was setup as an African Cichlid tank, and all I basically have to do is add water, cycle and add fish, it came with everything else, including a Fluval 305, and some very nice rock also!

I was pretty lucky on craigslist deals this week, both were $150 each. $300 total. Tanks and stands alone probably go for about $7-$800 in the LFS.

dsc02795b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom