Proper feeding in the Quarantine Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

I have just purchased a beautiful Coral Beauty Angel. Right now he is in the QT just chillin.

I got him the day he arrived at the shop and he didn't even leave the shipping bag before I got him home so my concern is that He hasn't taken any of the formula one or formula two that I offered yet. Is it just a matter of time? should i try something else? How should I be presenting the food in a way he will find the most appealing?

thanks!
-Matt

p.s. Pics to come soon. :wink:

You didn't say how long you've had him. A couple of days and I might not be so worried, but much longer than that and I'd be scratching my head... Have you tried soaking his food in Garlic? He's a grazer, right? Have you tried a clip with Nori on it for him? Maybe that kind of relaxed, "eat when he wants to scenario" would suit him better than catch as catch can while it falls?

Good luck with him! I really wanted one in my tank but just can't justify taking the chance with the corals in there!

Oops, sorry. I have had him for 3 days now.

I may just try the nori. But I am afraid my clowns will develop a taste for it and feed themselves to death. I will keep a close eye on him.

I am worried about corals too, but seeing that I don't expect to have any for another 5 months at least, I am hoping to break him of that habit. Many people report success with keeping Dwarf Angels in a reef tank.

We will see...

what about the environment? a barebone QT may have the fish "uncomfortable", have you offered any hiding places, like large sections of PVC pipe, etc. just something to give the fish the feeling of an environment (avoid porus materials incase you need to medicate). Could help to ease him some. If he's stressed he won't eat.

yup. I have a large piece of PVC that he hides behind instead of inside. :roll: I am medicating him right now. perhaps he just doesnt feel to good.

Do you know what the LFS was feeding him? you can try offering the same thing just to get him to eat something. You've verified all the basic water parameters?

Neither of my clowns have *any* interest in the nori. I don't think you have to worry there. Maybe with the nori (in several places around the tank) to pick at he might decide that it is easier to pick at than your corals? I'll cross my fingers for you.

My tang in QT was sleeping behind an elbow also. Now he swims through them like a cave. Cute to watch.

What are you medicating him with/for?

The LFS didn't get a chance to get him out of the shipping bag before I snatched him up. So I doubt he has eaten since he was in the big blue. (unless he ate at the shippers.)

Water parameters are normal. the water in the QT was from my display tank.

The medication I am using escapes me now, but one is for fungul and bacterial infections, and one is to promote healing and

Back
Top Bottom