Protein Skimmer problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I set up my tank a little over a week ago. Details in my sig. I got the PS yesterday, it's a SeaClone 100, and have had a heck of a time adjusting it. First it was throwing billions of little bubbles into the tank. I got that to stop. But now my collection cup is filled with water. It fills with water within minutes. Is this normal? I read about the PS having to setup... what happens during the set up? And how exactly does the PS work? I see a tube with bubbles and a collection cup. I kow the foam goes to the collection cup... but all my foam that goes and deposits stuff there is clean. is that because my tank is new?

cliffnotes of questions:
Is the collection cup supposed to fill up that fast? ***Primary Question***
What happens during the setup?
How exactly does all thos work?

Please help a newb understand the protein skimmer.

to a lesser extent, I was told with a PS and a UVS I don't need a regular H.O.T. mechanical filter. Is this true? I also run a UGF, most have told me to get rid of it, but about the same amount told me it won't hurt anything.

Your PS shouldn't fill up with water. Since this is a new tank, You should leave the PS off until the tank is done cycling, usually after 6 weeks or so. My first skimmer was a Seaclone, and it took weeks before I would start seeing gunk in there. What you will see in there as time goes by is a brown slimy substance, almost like motor oil. It shouldn't fill up with water though. Maybe there is something wrong with it, or something is not setup correctly. It is a pain to adjust to get it just right.

Mike

yeah, if I adjust for more bubbles (less water flow), the cup fills up fast. If I adjust for more water flow (less bubbles), there are billions of bubbles in the tank. I've adjusted it to where it doesn't fill the cup fast. But it surges and it'll still fill it up a bit.

Sorry - I forgot to read the bottom of your post:

My Personal Preference:
UGF: I would ditch this before everything settles. The problem with this is it becomes a nitrate breeding ground. Food, waste, and bacteria can get stuck in here causing problems down the road, especially in a small tank. All you really need is sand, liverock, and a good filtration system, such as your H.O.T. filter.

Mike

The UV and PS will be good only after the tank has cycled. If you run the UV and PS during the cycle, it will remove and kill off the necessary bacteria needed to establish your tank during the cycle period.

Mike

ok, I'll undo the PS and UV filter... and get rid of the UGF. but I need is sand and live rock?

I also have a canister filter that I could use, I just have to dig it out. I think I might use that... the back of my tank is looking cluttered.

Here's another newb question. When I do the canister filter, on the discharge tube, instead of going straight to the tank, could I have it go through my UV filter then into the tank? That'd eliminate a power head and the HOT filter in the back of the tank. It'd make the tank look much better. Then I'd only have the PS in the background. I didn't know if you could/should pass your filtered water through the UV filter before going to the tank. It seems logical that it will work. But, sometimes my logic isn't always correct. :p

Was your canister previously used for salt? You might want to replace the carbon, etc..inside it before you place it in the tank. A canister would be ideal for your tank.

I am not sure if this will work or not, as I don't have any experience with that type of setup. It does sound logical though. Maybe someone else can chime in on this one.

Mike

it was used for freshwater last time. But I planned on buying new stuff anyway. It's been sitting in my utility room for a long time now.

Just rinse it out real good, and replace the material inside for salt use and you should be fine. Are you doing LR at all, or just sand?

Mike

and here's where I lack in knowledge. What's the difference in tank setup if I do LR or sand? I have gravel in there now... would I have to get rid of the gravel? What about doing crushed coral? I guess I'm substrate illiterate. :(

Definitely get rid of the gravel and replace with crushed coral, or sand (prefered).

Since you are new to this, I would suggest getting a good book that most of us use on here called "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". This is an awesome and personal favorite book of mine. This will help the beginner, as well as the advanced hobbyist in making the best decisions. HTH

Mike

The protein skimmer shouldn't fill with water that quickly. Set it for more bubbles. It probably is okay that it is bubbling in the tank. I agree with the others that if you aren't using liverock to cycle, you shouldn't protein skim. Also no need for UV til you put the fish in.

Back
Top Bottom