Questions on keeping tank safe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the best way (besides QT which is obvious) when adding snails, shrimp, corals, etc to an established tank to keep disease and parasites out? I know someone makes a coral dip but what do you do for other things?
Thanks

QT really is your single best insurance against bringing in disease from outside your system.

Some will suggest treating a QT'd fish wether it shows signs or not. I do not advocate this for the same reason I wouldn't take medication for a disease I didn't have. Other than that, simply "be picky" about what LFS' you purchase from and about the quality of the tanks you buy specific fish from.

Did you have a specific concern in mind or just looking for general advice?

Im sorry...I didnt make my question clear...lets leave fish out of the equation. I QT all new fish before the go into my main. Im concerned about crabs, snails, corals, shrimp.
Thanks!

it is very unlikely (if not impossible) for corals snails shrimp and crabs to introduce parasites into your system. Just do a traditional drip acclimation and then place the inverts into your tank, dispose of the water that you dripped. That should be fine.

lziarek said:
it is very unlikely (if not impossible) for corals snails shrimp and crabs to introduce parasites into your system. Just do a traditional drip acclimation and then place the inverts into your tank, dispose of the water that you dripped. That should be fine.
It is unlikely, but it is certainly not impossible. Ich, for example, goes through multiple physical changes during it's life cycle. One of the stages is a cecile "pod-like" stage where they sit attached to rocks/corals/shells while they mature to the free-swiming stage.

IMO, drip aclimate, then FW dip before placing in your display tank. one thing you could do, is with a soft tooth brush go over any rocks, shells etc (but not corals, you don't want to damage their polyps) before placing in your main tank. It's not "necessary" but if you want that one extra level of comfort, you at least know you tried.

it is very unlikely (if not impossible) for corals snails shrimp and crabs to introduce parasites into your system.
It's not impossible an example is Marine Velvet this can be introduced into your tank on just about anything that is wet including invertebrates, live rock & algae.

I would QT if you can but if you are unable to QT just be picky on what you add to your system and where it comes from, look at it close before buying and adding.

Kaye

Keep in mind that it is also important not to mix any water from the LFS with your tank. Once your inverts/corals are properly aclimented, net them and put them in your tank. Do not dump the water from LFS into your tank.

Back
Top Bottom