Quick question on water clarity with salt water tanks ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jen-213

Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What makes the water cloudy?

When I set up my tank this mornoing/afternoon and mixed everything and did what I was suppose to it all seemed to be working out just fine ... everything mixed well and the water looked nice and clear except for the surface part where the aeration occured. Before adding anything else I thought it looked as though the bottom of the tank looked a bit bare so I decided to add just a bit more san to make a nice substrate. I cleaned it just as I had the first bucket and made sure it rinsed clear before adding it to the tank but now I can't seem to get the water back to the clarity that is was. The bottom of the tank seems fine, I can see the rock and floor decor but about mid way up the tank and top are cloudy. I can't even see the background picture through it. The cloudiness looks like tiny bubbles or like the salt mix did when I added it to the water ... what should/could I do?

Temp is 70 at the moment, Sp. Grav. 1.021/1.022 and I've turned off the aeration part of the powerhead to see if that helps any. Is it a salt problem?

By the way, so far the couple little crabby guys seem to be doing just fine ... hope they stay that way.

yeah.. that's what happened to my tank too.. but it cleared up since then.. don't worry about it.. IMO i think you should leave the aeration on... i think it helps disolve any salt that is left over

Thanks ...

I've upped the temp ... now at 76 and holding well ... and I will probably turn the aeration back on also. Hopefully this will clear up soon as it's kinda funny to look at with only the bottom couple inches being clear to see anything ... good thing there aren't any fish in there! I definately won't be adding anymore sand again!!!! :)

Thanks again for the advice!

What you are discribing, clear on the bottom, is suspended particles. They will settle out and all will be well.
Also, recheck your Sp. Grav. it will change with the temp of the water.
Good Luck!

Your tank is still going to have to cycle, and the resulting bacteria bloom will also make the tank cloudy. I doubt if the "crabby things" will survive. This is if I am understanding correctly and your tank is brand new.

Please refer to this thread, it may have some info that will help you out.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=4032

Back
Top Bottom