Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cleveland Clowns

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is a 10g refugium good enough to keep my 20g tank clear and healthy. I have no other filter running now. I just got my fugi going and worried about keeping the middle and bottom clean because my overflow is just skimming the top.

Is it a sump/refugium or just a refugium either way id say thats good since a tank that small doesn't really need all the other types of filtration as a larger tank unless you are planning on corals which in that case a nano skimmer would be great

*edit* you do have something else moving the water too right? Like a powerhead or circulation pump..you should have enough flow that stuff does not really have a chance to settle on the floor

Right now no. I had a powerhead going but the lowest setting was too much. Ill have to pick up a small one soon. I just have the return from the fugi moving water now

Is this tank just cycling right now or is it stocked at all because if its cycling then that's fine

And go with a circulation pump instead something in the 500gph range should be good (depending on what you want as a final stock)

How old is your tank?are you doing a fish in cycle?

And when those fish get larger in that size tank there's a good chance there will be some aggression issues...imo id stay away from damsels and chromis theyre lil demon fish haha

yeah, they are always zipping around causing trouble and kicking up sand. I plan on getting my 55g up and running in a few months

So could you answer a couple questions....how long has this tank been running? How much LR do you have? And do you plan on going reef?

Its been up for a month and the fugi for a day. i have 10lbs in the 20g and 3lbs in the fugi of live rock, with LS. I want to go reef

Ok well I think you need to put the brakes on and start reading up on getting started again you should have 1-1.5 lbs per gallon of rock and have you read about cycling and the nitrate cycle..one thing with a successful SW tank is patience

My current tank has been running about 3 months and I've just started stocking it a couple weeks ago..do you have a test kit?

I know need more rock, why start over when i can just add more rock. im not in a hurry to make a big reef tank. Im just making this 20g stable and established

But back to your original question if you have that little rock and flow then your water parameters will almost undoubtedly become unstable quite quickly

Cleveland Clowns said:
I know need more rock, why start over when i can just add more rock. im not in a hurry to make a big reef tank. Im just making this 20g stable and established

I don't mean start you tank over I meant start over on the learning process..you should read up on how to start and run a SW tank from start to finish before you go any further with you tank other then up your rock and circulation

The last thing you want is to have a finished tank and hundreds maybe thousands tied into it just for it to get nuked by something that could have been avoided

Back
Top Bottom