Saltwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flamingonhot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay i was thinking about starting a saltwater tank in time to come but i dont really know much about them can somebody give me some info on them? please?????

go buy saltwater fish for dummies
my wife made me read it before i got even near a tank and im glad she made me do it. i would have killed a few friends and spent a lot more money figurin things out if i didnt read a couple books

u need to search online, buy a book, and just read random post on this forum and u will learn all u need to know...there is alot more info than u think for just a fish tank

just give me some info im not gonna buy a book for 30 bucks

If you think $30 for a book is a lot, how much do you expect to spend on the tank? $30 for a reference book is a steal considering the first couple times you mess up in a marine tank, you are likely going to lose a lot more than $30... There is no "just give me the info", you need to commit a lot of time and effort before moving forward with a marine tank.

flamingonhot, there is no one way to set up a SW tank--there are tons of variables. What size tank? What kind of fish do you want? Reef or fish only? Then there are many different ways to set up a given kind of tank . . . . this is a hobby that really requires weeks or months of research before jumping in. And it's not cheap--expect to spend at least $20-$30 a gallon for a set up. That can easily go higher with all the bells and whistles. The resources here are great, but nothing can replace a good reference library. I don't mean to sound discouraging, but if spending $30 on a good reference book doesn't fly for you, SW might not be your bag.

dido, man i rushed into my tank thought i could do it all ended up killing a 90.00 fish. Do u have any fish exp. fresh, brackish anything

Believe me, spending $30 on a book is the least of your worries. Also with that kind of attitude your not going to get very much help or respect. As mentioned above there are many different ways to setup a tank. But first you need to decide if it will be a FO, FOWLR, or reef.

If you're not gonna buy a book then at least put in a few weeks looking through this forum. There are thousands of pieces of information that couldn't possibly be condensed into this thread for you.

Personally I think it's easier to buy the book.. I also don't think $30 is too much to spend when you're considering an investment of several hundred dollars. Infact, I'm pretty sure $1000 is quite normal for the "average" tank, so it would be a pretty big risk to just wing it.

Grimlock and the rest summed it up very well, consider that 30 bucks a drop in the bucket, the book is worth it's weight in gold! When setting up a SW tank being too "frugal" will definitely cost you more in the end. HTH

saltwater fish for dummies is the best "newbie" book on the market.......if 30 bucks is to much then you're in the wrong hobbie.

Search the web. There are plenty of start-up guides also. But no way can someone can just give you the info you need.

You were joking, right? OK, you got us on that one. :lol:

okay i know there is a lot of info but first of all i dont have any resources to fish books because there is only 2 lfs around where i live i was just wondering about basic stuff and i really dont know what live rock is , i was thinking about a clownfish some books ive read at my schools library siad they get lke 4 inches [common] i would like a small tank like 10 or a 20 something fairly small i would even be satisfied with like shromp and all that good stuff like stuff that doesnt need a lot of care if ya know what i mean
i have experience in fs and a little bit of brackish with my old puffer that died a while ago if anybody has like any suggestions for BEGGINER fish or whatever that would be good i guess ill look on the web for info..

Go to the local library and see if they have a copy of that book. Check it out for a few weeks then go back and check it out again for another few weeks. Get in the scientific literature and look for stuff on ornamental marine fish in general as well as articles regarding the species you want to try.
Try the search button. I hear it gives great results.

its best to do some research. As previously suggested buy a book about setting up and maintaining a salt water aquarium. This way you know what your getting yourself into.. :D

How do you get an attitude when your asking for a hand out. I buy 30$ books just because i want to lean more and i've had my tank running for over a year problem free Have a clue man :roll:

okay everyone shut up im going to buy the book when i get a chance, my cousin said when he went to petco they had a saltwater for dummies thing for 8 bucks........
so when i ever get a ride and get a load of money walla!

okay everyone shut up

Please refrain from statements like this. There are other ways to voice your opinion and statements like the above will make it so people wont be very
helpful to you.

"the above will make it so people wont be very helpful to you"

Heck, it'll make people suggest he get some LR for his freshwater tank :lol:

This is your official warning. SW tanks coast alot, a 30gal will cost over $1000, probably even used. I made the mistakes, and Im starting all over again. I recommend Michael Paletta's The New Marine Aquarium.
uzi.gif
Don't get burned.

Back
Top Bottom