seeding agronite sand to make it live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How can you do this...and yes I searched.
I was goin to buy a bag at HD and also max it with some from the lfs....what all is in LS and how do I seed HD playsand to make it Live...does anyone have a good write up on this?
Thanks

Some people don't like Silica sand(HD sand) but it should be ok. I have never used it though. Don't try and seed it with the bagged LS at the LFS. That sand is not really live.

Otherwise get some LS and spread it over the top of the non-live sand. It will populate over time.

If your lucky. I don't think they do in FL though. They don't where I am at. Only place I have heard of it is in PA or the North East.

Any HD can order it from another store they just bend you over a barrell in shipping charges. 2 bags = $75 can you say OUCH!!!!!!

ellisz said:
Some people don't like Silica sand(HD sand) but it should be ok. I have never used it though. Don't try and seed it with the bagged LS at the LFS. That sand is not really live.

Otherwise get some LS and spread it over the top of the non-live sand. It will populate over time.

I didn't know this. So, will the bagged 'live sand' I got from my lsf ever become live? Or do I need to seed it first?

It will become live but bagged LS does not contian live critters like real LS from an established tank. I used some of the bagged LS when I started my tank because I did not know. It says it will hasten the cycle but who knows. Mine still took 3-4 weeks.

Just know that there is a difference between LS and the bagged "LS".

so what will happen if i get bagged LS and real LS and mix it?
(guess the HD thought is out)
I was also goin to wade out to a bar in the gulf and fill about 2 or 3 5 gal buckets of sand....Im sure this will have live critters LOL

I do have 2 50# bags of silica sond covered with 20# live sand from my LFS out of their tanks. The araganite sand covers the silica and does just fine. I have lots of copepods and other fauna runnig rampant inmy substrate. My tank in 4'X13" and about 2"-3" deep with sand so I would suggest getting more live sand if possible.

I would stay away from getting the sand from the bar. Could be contaminates inthe sand that could harm you tank inhabitants.

even if the sand never comes out of the water even on low tide and Im starting out so I dont have anything and it will cycle

Get a cup of LS from an established tank and pour the LS on top of your sand(important that the live sand is on top). Infuana will eventually colonize your sand bed.

Your LFS might donate a cup of their sand to you.

donate... LOL
but thats the best suggestion....i still like the thought of gettin it myself but i am abit concerned of whats in it and all

I suggested in the first reply to get a cup of LS and spread it on top of the dead sand :)

Silica Sand can be used but the edges of the sand are sharp and it is not as critter friendly. Plus it won't give you the buffering that aragonite sand will.

If you want to use sand from the ocean, you could collect it and then bleach it to kill anything harmful. Then re-seed it afterwards. This is legal I assume to collect sand?

Back
Top Bottom