snail problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bianca90

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have like 20 snails and some of them have cracks in their shells. Is this how they outgrow the smaller shell? Or is it something eating the shell?

Thanks

What are this white things on my glass? Snail Eggs? Are the snails eating each other.?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110328_142032.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110328_142032.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 99
  • ForumRunner_20110328_142244.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110328_142244.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 117
  • ForumRunner_20110328_142417.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110328_142417.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 108
those appear to be nassarius snails. they will need to be fed. they do not eat algae. they eat meaty foods. i can't tell what the things on the glass are.
snail shells will grow with the snail, they don't crack to grow. i don't know what the cracks are from.

Snails need calcium to grow healthy. I heard kail (spell check) is great. Also feed them lettuce and they will be happy campers. Plus if theres no kail. Or... Kale? I think you can get calcium supplement for fish ane you mid it in water.

P.s. Lack of calcium causes cracks ane divits. Sorry i didnt state up there.

Really? I didnt know that. My expirience is with mystery snails. My bad.

But the calcium still stands

they eat left over food that hits the bottom. you could use sinking pellets if you are concerned about them getting enough food. a few of them in a tank won't need much target feeding, but 20 of them in a new tank will definitely need to be fed.
i believe when they crawl up the tank walls like that they are searching for food. they generally stay in the sand bed for protection otherwise.

nassarius will also eat detritus won't they, but when you put mysis shrimp in the water watch them all come out of the sand for meals

they might be my favorite type of snails they are so cool to watch while they enter and leave the sand and move rather quickly for snails

hmm...quoted from wikipedia- "In biology, detritus is non-living particulate organic material (as opposed to dissolved organic material). It typically includes the bodies or fragments of dead organisms as well as fecal material."

i have never seen a nassarius snail make haste to a lump of fish poop or accumulated gunk in a low flow area of the sand bed. only left over fish food and freshly dead carcasses are of interest to them IME.

Back
Top Bottom