Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sniperhank said:
Just a quick update. Came home from work last night and the 55 is filled with algae to the point there is some floating around on the top of the water. I unplugged my radions and will clean the mess up tomorrow since it is my day off. Pretty happy about this though, really hoping my nitrites are done with and I just need to do a large water change and switch my livestock over to the 55.

I hope you're right!! :)

Sniperhank said:
I had time before I had to leave for work and tested. No ammonia, .25 nitrite, and no nitrate thanks to my algae bloom.

That's great!! The nitrites are so low! Can you post a picture of the algae bloom later? I've never seen one.

I won't get home from work til midnight so that will be tomorrow. Mine isn't that bad, just wanted to nip it in the butt so I killed my lights. Need to lower the time they are on anyway. It is mostly a diatom bloom, with it over all the sand that isn't in the area of the one powerhead, which is also covered. It is also on the glass. The only annoying part is the stuff against the glass in the sandbed.

Sniperhank said:
I won't get home from work til midnight so that will be tomorrow. Mine isn't that bad, just wanted to nip it in the butt so I killed my lights. Need to lower the time they are on anyway. It is mostly a diatom bloom, with it over all the sand that isn't in the area of the one powerhead, which is also covered. It is also on the glass. The only annoying part is the stuff against the glass in the sandbed.

Lol! I thought your tank was all green and crazy looking. I've seen diatoms. They are annoying. I hope turning the light out today has helped. :)

Still have some nitrites, as I expected today. Moved another piece of LR from my 36 into the 55. Also began disassembling my sump setup to move over onto the 55 as well. Will get the rest of the piping/hosing tomorrow and will get that up and running. Was some really great stuff on saltwaterfish.com that I wanted...was hard to hold off. For the best though, shouldn't order any SPS until the 55 is ready since they just die.

Sniperhank said:
Still have some nitrites, as I expected today. Moved another piece of LR from my 36 into the 55. Also began disassembling my sump setup to move over onto the 55 as well. Will get the rest of the piping/hosing tomorrow and will get that up and running. Was some really great stuff on saltwaterfish.com that I wanted...was hard to hold off. For the best though, shouldn't order any SPS until the 55 is ready since they just die.

It's hard to be patient. At least you have a project to be working on. Hopefully the sump goes back together easily. I'm going to have to go look at that website and dream about when I can turn my tank into a reef.

Sniperhank said:
Don't be too jealous, I've killed many SPS and struggle to keep shrimp alive. One of the 3 I put in Monday died already.

Some of the other folks on here make it sound so easy! I imagine I'll kill my fair share learning the ways of the saltwater world one day.

Paid off my credit card early and made sure I was able to take part in the saving on saltwaterfish.com...because I said I wouldn't give in and everything. Ordered 3 from the EIBI, a Australian Ultra Worm Brain, Acan Echinata, Space Invaders Chalice, an ORA Indigo Dottyback, and a ORA Pink Stylophora. Content now lol. Going to move more rock over to the 55 today. Should be finished cycling by arrival.

Sniperhank said:
Paid off my credit card early and made sure I was able to take part in the saving on saltwaterfish.com...because I said I wouldn't give in and everything. Ordered 3 from the EIBI, a Australian Ultra Worm Brain, Acan Echinata, Space Invaders Chalice, an ORA Indigo Dottyback, and a ORA Pink Stylophora. Content now lol. Going to move more rock over to the 55 today. Should be finished cycling by arrival.

Way to go on paying off the credit card! They are pure evil, but so nice. LOL!

I'm looking forward to the pics of your new corals and fish!

Always glad to know I have someone still following this build along. It has gone sooo slow. Due to my own laziness and obliviousness. Paying off the credit card is easy, putting this tank together however is not. I am plumbing as we speak, hard line PVC. Doesn't help that it is snowing outside and something died in my walls a week or 2 ago. So glad the furnace could heat it back up for me.

Sniperhank said:
Always glad to know I have someone still following this build along. It has gone sooo slow. Due to my own laziness and obliviousness. Paying off the credit card is easy, putting this tank together however is not. I am plumbing as we speak, hard line PVC. Doesn't help that it is snowing outside and something died in my walls a week or 2 ago. So glad the furnace could heat it back up for me.

Oh no!! That's gotta smell delightful. It's almost 90 here! I just washed my car. Now there's a helicopter flying over my house. Weird. Just doing a big circle.

Don't they say slower is better with saltwater? How's the plumbing going? Are you almost halfway done? Anyway, it going slow is easier for me to follow along. When will your corals arrive?

How very ironic you bring up my plumbing as I had just finished cleaning up and sending the pics to photobucket. Turns out I am short 1.5 ft of pipe, a 90 degree elbow, and I needed a threaded connecter...not the non-threaded that I got. It'll take me 5 seconds to set up tomorrow once I get home with the pieces after physical therapy, heading to my contractor's store, and maybe voting in the primary.
Sump/Fuge. Not enough room with new return pump, had to turn skimmer into HOB.
img_1913581_0_fa1de8ad631d91e606a683577c6d9375.jpg

Unconnected CPR overflow
img_1913581_1_6a60531696d2f66f4dfb4310778e96c0.jpg

Connected BRS Dual media reactor
img_1913581_2_7df16cb09c8ffe130666efaa338264cc.jpg

T-off for the media reactor
img_1913581_3_80178580dd91ce9f0d161cfd251ea386.jpg

How that reactor work did u have it on ir other tank? I was going to buy one like that. Also it looks like u have a sea clone skimmer hub?

The reactor is brand new. I held off installing it until I could get it on my 55. And yes, that is my POS sea clone which became HOB today. It had been in the sump, but just no room for it and since the sump is an aqueon model, they think the sump belongs in the third section rather than the first.

Well, I began assembly today as my nitrites are... 0! Had to pick up a couple more pieces from the hardware store, and the only thing keeping me from completing the entire project is that I bought the wrong size of threaded fitting to attach to my HOB overflow. But, that is ok. I just reused the spa tubing that I had on there originally. Did a minor test run and so far the only leaks are from areas I had not glued or taped. Construction continues.

Sniperhank said:
Well, I began assembly today as my nitrites are... 0! Had to pick up a couple more pieces from the hardware store, and the only thing keeping me from completing the entire project is that I bought the wrong size of threaded fitting to attach to my HOB overflow. But, that is ok. I just reused the spa tubing that I had on there originally. Did a minor test run and so far the only leaks are from areas I had not glued or taped. Construction continues.

Awesome!! That cycle seemed to go on for ages! Now it will be all ready to go when you get your new corals and fish!

Easily thank god. But as a word of warning, don't be like hank...over dosing ammonia makes the wait even worse. Just finished gluing all of the PVC. When I dry fit everything the only leaks were at the simple plug and play seals that came with the BRS reactor...we'll see if I fixed that. Have yet to plug in the return pump with the whole system...but I did fill a gallon bucket and plug it in on my parent's porch. They were quite surprised to see me firing water off of it...that'll show them for not having a screened in porch like I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom