Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sniperhank said:
Sps are special. Too much, too little, not enough flow, to large of a pwc, running to much carbon...plain and simple the 55 is too new for sps. I know this, just didnt use the knowledge i have. The plan for them in the future is to run a controller on my tank that will monitor salinity, ph...you get the idea. Either way im not allowed to buy more coral until things are stable...so a couple months. Need to nurse my duncams back into the game anyway...might even just put them and the acan back in the 36. Dont know, well see. This will take time and patience, plain and simple.

Montipora doesn't seem to do good in my tank for some reason they will be fine then go bad then be fine but the other sps I have I put in a new tank after it was like 2 mknths old and they will bleach of the frag falls off the rock into a shaded area. The only monti that does great is what they call a poker star monti. I love that cpral.

No, the fish are fine. The chalice, acan, and worm brain are in my 36. I'm hoping they are ok. I switched out my heater now believing it was an electrical problem. I'll be doing some more work on the tank and maybe move them back early next week.

Sniperhank said:
No, the fish are fine. The chalice, acan, and worm brain are in my 36. I'm hoping they are ok. I switched out my heater now believing it was an electrical problem. I'll be doing some more work on the tank and maybe move them back early next week.

Oh man! I hope the corals are ok. I'm glad the fish are doing good. Did you ever get the salinity where it needs to be?

Good luck getting the tank back, Sniper. Sorry to read of your misfortune.
That really blows!!
I had a heater rupture on me last year. Kept getting shocks at the cuticles of my fingernails when I would go in the tank. Luckily I found it quickly and didn't lose anything. I don't think the heater ever cycled on, as it was summer in Florida. I got very lucky.
Again, best of luck

Thanks. I ordered more cuc and a few corals to replace what was lost. They will be housed in my 36 until i have the 55 in 100% shape. Have the flow good and parameters are good, just lowered salinity. Now trying to keep things in there sand free. If it goes in, it gets covered in sand.

Sniperhank said:
Thanks. I ordered more cuc and a few corals to replace what was lost. They will be housed in my 36 until i have the 55 in 100% shape. Have the flow good and parameters are good, just lowered salinity. Now trying to keep things in there sand free. If it goes in, it gets covered in sand.

What did you order?

Scroll coral, duncan, bumblebee shrimp goby, tiger pistol shrimp, red moon snail, giant green star snail, 20 turbo snails, and 50 lbs of Caribbean live rock.

I love duncans, can't live without one anymore. I ordered more rock, it being on sale sure helped, so that I can pick and choose on what pieces I want in which tank. Having 50 lbs for a 55 and 36 just isn't enough. Anything extra I'll put in my sump or something.

Sniperhank said:
Scroll coral, duncan, bumblebee shrimp goby, tiger pistol shrimp, red moon snail, giant green star snail, 20 turbo snails, and 50 lbs of Caribbean live rock.

I love duncans, can't live without one anymore. I ordered more rock, it being on sale sure helped, so that I can pick and choose on what pieces I want in which tank. Having 50 lbs for a 55 and 36 just isn't enough. Anything extra I'll put in my sump or something.

Nice!! Sounds like you'll be getting a nice variety of creatures.

Ok, All of my tests are exactly where I wanted them to be today...except my old friend salinity. 1.029. Good enough for government work at this point. I moved the chalice and acan back into the 55. I left the worm brain in the 36 where I am expecting it to die. I'd rather my established system take care of it if at all possible.

Even though I have 50 lbs of caribbean live rock headed my way, I have continued to ponder my aqua scape. I want to have an open sandbed in the middle of my tank. So far, it is going well. But, this might limit everything I want in the tank. Considering a mag rock for on my back wall. Not sure though, since this would shade the sandbed where I want corals...Early stage of thought on this one. Aqua-Mags LLC for those that don't know what I'm talking about.

Yeah the frag mags are cheaper from brs but those rock magnets are cool and would be a great way to add more coral to my 55 without taking up the already limited space.

Agreed on cheaper carey. If i end up going that route, ill prob end up making my own since ill have some spare lr from this order and i always picked carib lr for how flat/archy it is. Would be an easy creation.

As for the worm brain, im fairly certain its dead...but well see. Also have fear the chalice is working on it as well. New bleach spot today...but faint. Quite frustrated all this saltwater knowledge and im failing quite hard atm.

Just bought a new aqueon pro heater. Unbreakable ftw. On my way to see about my clowns...

And...drum roll...
img_1923298_0_fa9f3d46e44f21718b468e439aea353a.jpg

Guy at the LFS goes "you know they are more aggressive right?" I tried hard not to laugh at him...I just said I know. Lol. Not only that, they were put on sale! 20 bucks off. WINNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom