SPS reef equipment.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cardinal3420

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking to all members here who have experience with SPS systems. What piece of equipment do you feel you can't live without to have a "thriving" not just surviving tank. Would love everyones input and opinions on this one. Right now I have tested my system with some easier SPS such as montipora cap, green birdsnest and pagoda. I have got growth on all especially my Montiproa cap. I really would like to add some more difficult acroporas in there. I know one thing I am adding before though is an MP40es. I want to make this 90 gallon system as successful as possible. Like I said all input is welcome. Thank you!

The tanks that I have worked with that have thriving SPS have: a lot of light, a lot of flow, very strong skimming so they can feed the SPS and not pollute the tank, and use high quality salt and/or proper supplementation.

That sounds great! I currently have MH and T5 for lighting as well as LED moonlights. All corals look great but I'm thinking of getting an all LED system by November. Also on order is the MP40es for movement. My skimmer works great as far as I can tell. And I dose with a 2 part supplement to keep my levels in check. I just would hate to add a beautiful SPS and have it die. I guess I worry to much lol.

Do you have any yet? Many are not as hard as people think. Acros, yes, but stuff like monti and birdsnest are easier than some LPS.

Yeah I have the Monti and birdsnest both. About a week ago I added a tiny acropora frag. Not sure exactly the name of it though. I get good polyp extension but unsure if it will do well yet. So far it looks ok, I know growth on it will probably take some time being it also needs to get settled.

Picture of the frag.

Attachments

• image-1186826911.jpg
    image-1186826911.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 112
Does anyone think that t5s are enough on there own to sustain SPS corals? Or should I keep using MH as well? I just hate that my tank temp rises up to 80-81 during the day. God I can't wait for my LEDs hahaha!!

T5s are enough to sustain sps corals. how many and what wattage are the T5s you speak of? are they individually reflected or all of them in a single reflector? btw, 80-81 is ok, as long as it's always that temp or close to it. turn your heater up a little so that it stays the same throughout the night.

Yeah I have 4x54 watt ATI bulb t5s. Great light output. I do have some easy SPS growing but im also using a viper k2 MH also.

is that viper a 150 watter? if so, i doubt it's helping much. are the T5s daylights or all actinic? in the long run, i wouldn't trust my sps to a 4 lamp unit unless the tank was 12" deep, but depending on where you have the corals positioned, it may be enough.

Yeah this is why I'm switching to LEDs, even with my SPS raised up at the top, I'll be more comfortable with the new LEDs. Just costing me like 1000-1500 bucks. Craziness lol! I wish they would drop in price, cause they are so not worth these prices.

just make sure you purchase the right LED fixture(s). there are many on the market and only a few that would actually sustain high light corals long term.
also make sure you acclimate your corals to the new light slowly.

Yeah I'm having them built, I'm not buying a prefab one. I'd rather have it my way. Lol

Back
Top Bottom