Star Fish and Feather Duster Worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reach_michael

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a marine aquarium with a star fish and a feather duster worm for six months now along with a clown fish and anemone.

They have lived together for all this while

Someone tells me today that you cant keep a starfish and a feather duster worm together as the star fish will eat the feather duster worm.

Is this true?

I dont think it is true but I want your view.

Welcome to AA. :) What sized tank ya got? That'll make the dif on whether a starfish will work. I've always had starfish and dusters with no problem.

Thanks Austinsdad for your quick reply. Capacity is around 20-25 lts. Its a boyu ready with marine filter tank and I never had problems with the starfish and feather duster the past six months. And I have not seen anyone else claiming that starfish harm feather dusters. And the fact that you also have had them together proves to me that they can live together.

I`ve always had both with no problems but in SW there are no certains. I`ve seen it all.

is this litres? as in 6.5 gallons?

I think so. I'm surprised the starfish has made it for 6 months in that size tank. If we're talking any of the sand-sifting stars, those normally die in anything less than a 55 gallon because they eat everything quicker than it can reproduce. I'm guessing that the starfish will eventually go after the duster when it gets hungry enough.

well the starfish is Red-knobbed Starfish. They all live in harmony as far as I have seen ... I feed it chopped shrimp once a week and it never goes near the feather duster...

So. This tank is 6.5 gallons?? Wow! Kinda makes me wonder if there may be problems brewing afterall. I've had 2 starfish and 3-4 dusters in a tank, but that was 155g. 6.5?

Still, unless the star has long and nimble tentacles like the brittles or serpent stars, I can't see it getting to the worm inside that tube. Maybe not even then. Or does another type of star just choke it to death? Dunno.

Back
Top Bottom