Start of my first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reef rocks.net only sells base rock which is way cheaper than buying a bunch of live rock, their rock is awesome and I would recommend buying base rock and then only a peice or 2 of live rock from your Lfs. I would only order from reef rocks if you are not in a hurry as it takes close to a month to get an order from there, if in a hurry I would order base rock from Marcos rocks who is a sponsor on these forum.

Ok as my cycle grows closer and closer to its end, nitrates finally showed up yesterday :), i need some suggestions in stocking. Here is what i have on my list so far.

2x Ocellaris Clownfish ( my 4 & soon to be 3 year olds would kill me if i didnt)
1 six line wrasse ( 1 of the only fish my wife said doesnt look weird !)
my 4th and final fish i am undecided on looking for something active and colorful
1 red fire shrimp and a cuc (thinking of doing mostly is not all snails)

Please chime in with suggestions and comments ! thank you :)

Ok as my cycle grows closer and closer to its end, nitrates finally showed up yesterday :), i need some suggestions in stocking. Here is what i have on my list so far.

2x Ocellaris Clownfish ( my 4 & soon to be 3 year olds would kill me if i didnt)
1 six line wrasse ( 1 of the only fish my wife said doesnt look weird !)
my 4th and final fish i am undecided on looking for something active and colorful
1 red fire shrimp and a cuc (thinking of doing mostly is not all snails)

Please chime in with suggestions and comments ! thank you :)

Just some words on the Sixline Wrasse......I had one in a 34g with one Ocellaris Clownfish and the Wrasse seemed to act a bit aggressively towards the Clown. They are really cool fish though!

If you get one I would most likely recommend adding it last. I believe that it it is always worth getting second opinions though.:)

Last edited:
Again, that was just my experience though. :)

And that's exactly it... Everyone's tank will react differently. My 6 line is great with my clowns, in fact, he likes the nem more than they do lol :cool:

First off thanks for the quick replies, but looking up the 2 fish that benamayer suggested are both rated at 70g's so i would say those are out of the running. what about some sort of dottyback or goby or 1 of each as they tend to be smaller fish ?

Dottybacks are awesome and they're active too. I had a Springer's Dottyback but it went carpet surfing 8-( Most gobies will work well, and are easy to keep...

i was thinking a bi color dottyback or purple stripe or line i believe it is...as far as gobies i really have narrowed it down to any favorites

Dottybacks can be pretty aggressive too. I think it is the Orchid, however, that is a bit more peaceful. :) I would guess that you still may see a little bit of aggression, not sure though.

I love Dottybacks, as their color is just so amazing, I had a Diadem in my old 55g that was so awesome!

I think a nice Goby would be suitable for your aquarium.

i was thinking a bi color dottyback or purple stripe or line i believe it is...as far as gobies i really have narrowed it down to any favorites

I love these Dottybacks, but in my opinion I wouldn't keep them with more peaceful fish, as they are fairly aggressive. A good substitute for the Bicolor Dottyback could be a Royal Gramma. Check them out, their coloring is very similar and I believe that are a little bit more peaceful.

i love the royals, but have shyed away from thinking about keeping them as i have heard they can be very picky eaters.

Sorry for the multiple posts! I forgot to add that I had issues in my old 34g when I attempted to add a Royal Gramma to the tank with the Sixline Wrasse. I think others have had both in the same tank without issue, however. I guess it all goes back to what works for one person, may not work for the other.

I guess it all goes back to what works for one person, may not work for the other.

I agree 100% with this it seems nothing is set in stone when it comes to this hobby that being said... what do you think of fire fish ? my lfs has purple fire fish that are pretty cool

I agree 100% with this it seems nothing is set in stone when it comes to this hobby that being said... what do you think of fire fish ? my lfs has purple fire fish that are pretty cool

Firefish are fantastic in my opinion. Just don't keep them with aggressive fish, as they are peaceful.

So that would be a no go with the Six Line...hmmm, i really want something different here.

yeah i love them, but everything i have read says they are lazy.. i am lazy enough as it is i dont need lazy fish lol

yeah i love them, but everything i have read says they are lazy.. i am lazy enough as it is i dont need lazy fish lol

Yep, they don't swim a whole lot, but they are nice looking! :)

Sorry, I probably made things confusing with all my "advice", lol. It's always tough for me, as I don't want to steer someone in the wrong direction......

Back
Top Bottom