Starter fish...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would not use any fish to cycle the tank. I`ve seen where others put a piece of shrimp in the tank and used that to help cycle the tank. I put some flakes in mine to cycle it out. Whatever you do don`t waste the fish`s life to cycle your tank. Have a good day

IMO uncured live rock is the best and usually fastest to cycle a tank. It only takes 1 piece to do it and mine have all cycled in 2 to 3 weeks with LR.

I wouldve used a fish too, but the cost of having a fish die far outweighs 2 pennies for a cocktail shrimp.

Anyways...
Damsels, Chromis (Some people dont have luck with these) are the two main types.

Clownfish are realated to damsels, but again... there is the cost factor involved.

I would use a dead cocktail shrimp, SOOOO much cheaper, and you are SURE to get a cycle going with one.

As far as inverts and stuff, none can live through a cycle.

Thank you for your provided information... however, my question remains to be answered.
I think it has, just not in the way you wanted. Using fish to cycle is outdated. Fishless cycling is a much more humane way to cycle a tank. Damsels are hardy and maybe have a 50% chance of surviving a cycle. When the cycle is finished you are stuck with a territorial, aggressive and mean fish to deal with. Save yourself some money and stress and use a cocktail shrimp.

When the cycle is finished you are stuck with a territorial, aggressive and mean fish to deal with

Too True, as I learned the hard way, i had not Joined AA before i used damsels and did not know of using shrimp, tho two damsels survived but yes you cant easily get rid of them and they'll attack pretty much anything you put in there (my clown is now scared to leave the corner of the tank, they dont bother my yellow tang though, most probably because he's twice the size of them!) - to get to the point - DONT USE DAMSELS !!!

Just a follow up to my prevoius post, i put a nice bubble tip anenome in the centre of the tank to try to encourage the clown out, a week later and he still dosen't know its there, i will know have to spend more money and but one of those fish-trap things and try to catch the damsels, belive me, you will give the cycling fish hell and any fish you add after the cycling is complete will be too scared and will hide - JUST GO WITH THE SHRIMP !!!

yeah. skip the damsels. I had two. The bigger of the two picked on the smaller and stressed it to death. Then I added clowns and he picked on them too. After trying to catch him many times I eventually had to remove most of my rock and chase the damsel around the tank for 30 mins to get him out. :evil: I recommend you stay away from damsels.

Chromis and clowns are very hardy. If you're going to use live fish though please make sure to keep your water parameters in check by frequent water changes while you cycle. Keeping your ammo below .25 will help your fish survive the long run.

I would determine your final stocking list before you add any fish though. If 6" of chromis (2) don't fit in your long term plans then the shrimp makes more sense for even more reasons.

I did the damsel thing. They were cheap ($2.99) and I got a 4 stripe and a domino. The 4 stripe got ick and died soon, but the domino is still in my tank. He is doing very well and has even grown a bit. BUT he is very agressive. I also have a yellow tail that spends most of his time hiding from the domino. The domino is going back to the lfs before anything else goes in. I've heard that mollies can be acclimated to saltwater, but if I had to do it all over again, I would do the shrimp, and a dsb.

You can always catch a damsel with a little bloodworms and a 1/2L ozarka bottle.. ;)

...two down, two to go... :twisted:

lando said:
Thank you for your provided information... however, my question remains to be answered.
I think it has, just not in the way you wanted.

Then how has it been answered? :roll: ...I did not ask how to cycle a tank! I know how to cycle a tank, just was curious if there are other hardy fish out there.

Pay attention to detail :lol:

and what we're trying to tell you not to use fish at all, you'll endanger their lives and its unfair to put them through the poor conditions, if i had the chance I would have used shrimp instead of fish, i regret it now.

To answer your question directly then, no.
There are NO fish, not even damsels, that can live without suffering from stress and possibly death, in a cycling tank. Your not going to find to many aquarist here that will advocate it.

I did not ask how to cycle a tank! I know how to cycle a tank,
Well, WHY do you NEED a fish to cycle with? What's the rush? Do you just want something to look at? I'm curious as to why you MUST use a fish :?

That is why I went with fish the first time around. Its better to see SOMETHING alive in there.

But the costs kept me from it (and the fact a shrimp is guarenteed to keep the cycle going and you dont have to worry about it)

Its better to see SOMETHING alive in there.
Watching a STRESSED/DYING fish wobble around in awful tank conditions isn't relaxing, rewarding, or remotely enjoyable for me personally. If cost is a HUGE issue, your in the wrong hobby. Proper husbandry comes before all, including impatience, if you want to be successful.

Thats why I didnt keep using fish is cuz I didnt like them to die all the time, and when they did die it was $10 a fish (Yep, damsels are alot here)

Back
Top Bottom