Starting a reef aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeDemTails

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am getting ready to start a new reef aquarium.

I have a 55 gal tank, but I was thinking about going with a 29 for space and $ reasons.

I can get an Current USA Orbit 24hr 30" 2x65 Watt hood for 155$ or I can get the 48" 4x65 Watt hood for 235$

I think thats a better deal for better lighing right?

Is a 55 gal much easier to keep than a 29 becuase it is bigger? I have always kept bigger SW tanks, like 100 gal plus, and never had any problems, I recently set up a small nano tank and didnt have good results, so I am kinda gun shy to set up a small tank again.

I know everyone always says start big because you will want bigger, but is it easier?

everyone says start bigger because it is easier to maintain good water conditions in a bigger tank, the bigger the better...

bigger is easier. More water volume equates to more stable conditions.

That sounds like a good deal on the lights. Better lighting is always a plus and a good idea to go ahead and get good lights in the beginning.

I agree larger is more forgiving due to larger volume. I don't necessarily agree it's easier. Larger tank means larger water changes and that's really the only hard part about keep a tank in my opinion. On the other side though, a 29 is the smallest tank I'd suggest for a beginner. I think its' really up to you which way you want to go. What your more comfortable with taking money and work into consideration. Smaller does mean you are limited more to what you can do/add to the tank. That's another consideration when deciding. What do you ultimately want to get out of the tank? Reef or just a few small fish? Good luck with whatever you decide.

I agree with fluff and others that larger is more forgiving due to more water volume. IMO a 55 is a good starter size.

you can do better on the lights check ebay when i got my 36" 96w x2 i payd $110. including shipping

ianrich147 said:
you can do better on the lights check ebay when i got my 36" 96w x2 i payd $110. including shipping

Was that for a hood or just the lights and ballast?

I want to get a fan and ballast built in type model. I really like the Current USA Orbits series lights....I will do more research though!

I have had a few FOWLR tanks before, but I want to make this a full blown reef.

Back
Top Bottom