Starting a Tank for a Store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been pulled into setting up a saltwater reef for my relative's new store. It will probably be about four to six feet long, 1.5 feet deep, and two feet wide. I'm not sure on final dimensions, as I can't decide what it will be until I see the space. I need a crash course on saltwater here guys. The budget is ~$2500-$3000. The store is for a pirate boat business, Urban Pirates. The tank will surely be a reef, probably use maintenance company after I set it up. I know I need metal halide or LEDs, I'm thinking LEDs, a skimmer, a sump, 1 lb rock per gal and 2-3 lbs sand, but what else? Stock, I'm thinking Nemo/Dory, that sort of thing. Some of the simpler corals, so medium-ish light (4-5 wpg). They won't pay for setup and for maintenance, so I'm being paid in plants from my favorite stores instead of people that know what they are doing. A fish-in cycle would be nice, if feasible.
Thanks!

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Get your own tank settled first;) this is where it stops being fun and starts being the bane of your existence..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi emerald. Personally I don't think there's any "crash course" that could prep you enough to be able to handle a setup like that. As well, between tank, sump, sand, live rock, pumps, lighting, and all the other small things that are absolutely necessary for just the basics the budget is quite low. Even in the used market. Then with dealing with used equipment, it's just that. Used and unpredictable. Also, I would not recommend a fish in cycle in a SW setup. Primarily because most of the inhabitants need an established system for their survival.

I know you're very gung-ho about what you do as it's evident in seeing you're posts, and perhaps not what you want to hear, but not something I would try to take on IMO. If they're willing to have a company come in for maintenance, they should have them do the setup as well.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I'll price everything ou for you and let you decide if you really want to do this. I'll just estimate the tank as a 120-125.
Rodi-if not provided by the store it will need to be purchased. A good unit is $150-200.
Sump system-40 breeder $50-60
Baffles-$15-30
Skimmer-$300-400
Powerheads-Jaebos $150-200
Return pump-$150ish
Lights-ebay 120 watt fixtures (2-3) $300
Rock-$1 lb per gallon base rock $250-300
Sand-$50-100
Heaters-$75-100
GFO reactor(optional but I recommend)-$75

Just remember these are estimate prices depending on brand and such. Gives you a general idea and that's without salt and livestock.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, I'm going to try to convince them to get freshwater then if that's what you guys think. I can handle a 240 gal freshwater tank. Also, I'll tell them the pricing list and try to convince them to use a pro company. Thanks guys!

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Yeah, I'm going to try to convince them to get freshwater then if that's what you guys think. I can handle a 240 gal freshwater tank. Also, I'll tell them the pricing list and try to convince them to use a pro company. Thanks guys!

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Just remember it will probably cost more than I priced out. Those are mostly online prices and trying to save as much money as possible. They're also estimates. Without any sw experience I agree going fresh is probably a good plan! (y) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks!
Eventually it's convertible...

Delivered via owl
Ministry of Magic

Back
Top Bottom