Stinky bucket question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrbill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I use 5 gallon buckets to make saltwater, for topoffs, and for water changes. I've been using the same two buckets since I started the tank a year ago. I never use the buckets for anything else, and I never clean them with soap. Recently, I noticed a very strong odor in both buckets, smells like rotting fish. They are completely empty. Needless to say, I got two new buckets.

Anyone ever notice something like this, and you think this may be why my tank is completely overrun with hair algae?

I use RO/DI water by the way.

If you dont dry the buckets after using them then its a great possiblity they have accumlated a type of bactera colony on them.

Well, I decided to investigate further. I filled up a brand new bucket with RO water and it still stinks. So, I thought it might be the hose I use from the RO filter to the bucket. Filled the bucket right from the filter, still stinks. Checked the water straight out of the tap, no odor. So it's definitely the RO filter.

I tested the water right out of the RO filter, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate, 0 Ammonia, PH 7.4 (or lower) 0 Phosphates. I replaced the filters fairly recently.

Strange. Any idea why otherwise clean water might have such a strange odor? I'm stumped.

Allright, now I tested with a TDS meter, and it came up 140! It's always been 0. I've only had the unit for a year. Could the membrane be shot already? And if so, could that cause an odor?

If you havent replaced the membrane in a year then yes I would replace it. What did you mean when you said you replaced the filtered recently?

I replaced the three filters, but not the membrane, and not the DI filter. The TDS meter read 0 before I changed them too, but I thought it was a good idea anyway. Maybe I should have just left it alone.

Thanks for the help fishfreek.

Excellent use of search function. Please report back how our water smells after the filter is replaced.

Just to follow up, I replaced the filter.

The water, as well as the buckets, has no noticeable odor.

Now I know.

Back
Top Bottom