Stocking a 90 gallon predator FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atticus1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I recently decided to start a saltwater tank for the first time after a freind offered to sell me his tank and two unused filters (filstar xp3 175 gallon and fluval 40 gallon) After deciding i wanted charecter over quantity, I decided to go with a predator tank with as much live rock as 200$ could buy. After several months of research and two visits to some LFSs, i decided made a list of my favorite fish and narrowed it down to this list based of care requiremnets and compatibility:

Picasso Trigger
Niger Trigger
Snowflake eel
Dwarf fuzzy Lionfish
A Tang? If there is room?
A regularly restocked cleanup crew

So, in a nutshell, is this overstocked? If it are there any steps I could take to allow me to keep all these fish (short of a bigger aquarium)? I understand I would have to add the triggers at the same time, and even then they may occasionally spar. I was also worried about them bothering the lionfish. I have heard a dozen conflicting accounts about them getting along with triggers, but in general, it seemed like a clown trigger was the problem. I also remember reading somewhere that you could design the live rock in such a way that it would encourage the fish to form their own territories? Does that just mean piling up live rock to keep them apart? Sorry, I don't have a source on that. I was also wondering about some inverts i found on Live Aquaria:
Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Aquariums: Emerald Crab
Hermit Crab with Anemone
Saltwater Aquarium Invertebrates for Marine Reef Aquariums: Sally Lightfoot Crab

After these caught my eye, I did some research that said they were all actually very aggresive, enough so to bully some fish. Does that mean they could hold their own in my theoretical well fed tank? Sorry if any of these are really stupid questions.

Well, triggers need a bigger tank. Drop both of them, and there are a few tangs that can go in there. The eels will eat your hermits, and kick up your Sandbed a ton. Go to live aquaria and look at the fish, you'll find a lot of information about them.

Thanks

So, what tangs could i get? Would several yellow tangs work or do they need to be different species? Is live aquria generally a good source of both information and products?

EDIT: nevermind, looks like the multiple yellow tangs won't work

Alright then

What other fish besides those tangs would work in an aggresive aquarium? Any reasonably sized groupers?

What about a hogfish or a foxface

EDITI just discovered the Hogfish on live aquaria, theyre listed as aggresive and look big enough to avoid the eels attention. Do you know anything about them? Also, what about a one spot foxface?

EDIT: I'm seeing a lot of people who are insisting a picasso would be fine in a 75-90 gallon

The foxface would be fine and the Picasso probably as well. Definitely not the Niger though. They get to large.

Thanks you

so... here is a revised list after taking your advice

picasso trigger
fuzzy dwarf lion
dragon wrasse?
snowflake eel

Dragon wrasses typically eat live food which can be an issue. But if you find one that eats frozen you'd be set.

Well..

I was planning on using a small 5 gallon i have to keep feeder goldfish as treats.... could i start him off on those while i train him to eat mysis shrimp and marine flesh? How common are they in stores so i could see what they eat?

What exactly does live food entail in saltwater aquariums anyway? I haven't really come across any feeder fish that could be cheaply and regularly obtained

People will feed live ghost shrimp and live brine shrimp for the smaller fish.

I have a 90g fowlr. All aggressive fish. I have a bristletooth tang, squrrel fish, hogfish and a bunch of different non reef safe wrasses. I also have a single clown and an engineer goby in the tank. Wrasses are a great active fish and depending on which ones you chose you can have a few.

Ok Thanks

So, does a dragon wrasse count as a "smaller fish"? Also, what sort of filteration do you have? Thanks!

A dragon wrasse starts out kinda small but gets quite large, I just saw one that was about 6 inches at least. Too bad he was only eating live or I would have jumped all over him. lol

I am running an old 20g tank setup as a sump. i run an eshopps psk 150 skimmer and a filter sock. Thats it. :)

would two filters that add up to about 195 gallons and a good skimmer do the trick for my listed fish? I'm not familiar with saltwater filtering. Plus i'll start of with about 200$ of live rock

Hey man, I've had a Picasso trigger in my 100 gal, and trust me, IMO you shouldn't get it. I had countless problems with it. However if you really want it, I'd get it tiny, it will help.

Ok, then..

any other ideas for tankmates? thanks

Sorry to pepper you with questions, but what sort of problems?

Back
Top Bottom