stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrc8858

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do you think that this is an ok stocking
5 green chromis
3 zebra barred goby
1 mandarin dragonet
1 centerpiece fish (unknown any ideas)
This is a 46 gallon bowfront reef with a 20 gallon sump/refugium..ideas for a decent sized centerpiece would be great too. I was thinking maybe a butterfly but I've heard they're a with caution reef fish which I don't think I'm even trying to take the risk.

If this is a new tank i would pass on the mandarin for a while, they really need an established tank to feed properly.

As for a centerpiece fish what about a wrasse of some kind or maybe an anthias?

Ya its fairly new but that's just a finished stocking list I've been adding extremely slowly.. Idk if you remember my other thread when I started my 20 gallon build but i ended up upgrading to my current tank.. I've added some copepods and amphipods a week ago to get their colony started so I'm thinking the madarin in late spring early summer and for the centerpiece fish I was originally gonna go with a wrasse but after putting some thought into it I want something rare and unusual which price isn't an issue on this fish..if I'm putting as much money into as I am I might as well go all out on this one.. I just want the shock and awe effect when someone sees my tank you know lol

Edit* ie I was thinking about a Japanese dragon eel if it wouldn't eat everything I would buy which they want around $700 for so like I said money isn't really an issue on this fish

Let me suggest a Chaulk Bass. I got one last week and it is a great fish! I also agree with carey, as usual, about a wrasse. In the order that brought me my Chalk Bass had a DOA 6 line. I've seen many other wrasses, but none are as striking as a 6 line IMO. Also, I'm not sure about the Chromis... I really wanted some but after researching and encouragement from others in the forum I moved away from the Chromis. When I upgrade my tank I'll be adding a small school of them though.

To give you an idea, I'm running a 36 gal bowfront. My stock is as follows:
Royal Gamma
Neon Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby
Chalk Bass
Coral Banded Shrimp
Emerald Crab
Sally Lightfoot
Anemone Crab

Ya I'm not a big fan of the anthias' or the six lines.. I like the 5 lines more or the pencil but to try and clarify I want my centerpiece fish to just jump out at you like "holy *@$? What is that?" Lol to give you an idea I've been lookin at frogs anglers or lions

Edit and ya the chromis are just there to school (didnt want a damsel school due to aggression which my chromis seem much more docile then my old yellow tail)

I've re-read this a few times and I'm getting confused. If I am correct, you upgraded from a 20 gallon to a 46 bow. You are looking to add (10) fish into this tank. (5) Chromis, (3) darts, mandarin, and centerpiece...

Maybe everyone knows something that I don't. You mentioned the JD Eel, which needs a 100+ gallon tank and also looking at lions and anglers...

Without sounding silly, are you planning on a large upgrade?

I know some anglers would fit in that tank, but typically need a species only tank as they will eat anything they can catch basically. Lions, even dwarf, require at least (50) gallons which you could probably pull off with a very small bioload from other fish, but again they eat everything that's less than 1/2 their size.

I have five fish 3" or less in my 54 and I'm considered stocked. (10) in a 46 with one being large seems crazy. Again, I probably don't know the whole story, but I would like to help pick out a "wow" fish. I just want to make sure I know what size tank it'll be living in!

If you do go lion, my favorite is the antennata (sp).

I agree with TLTGF. An angler would eat everything else. Any wrasse added would compete for food with the mandarin. A lion would also eat everything. That school of fish wouldn't be much of a school for very long.
I think you've got to decide on which you want- a peaceful tank or a predator tank.

Those were just examples of the look I'm going for now I'm trying to find out what would fit into this scenario and I had a 20 gallon that was upgraded to a 46 about 6 weeks ago. I do understand the fish I mentioned exceed my tank requirements that's why I can't figure out what to get lol

I just have a limited knowledge of some of the "miscelaneous/oddball" and rarer kinds of fish that really stand out

i would love to keep a wartskin angler
clown9-4-07.jpg

See that's what I'm talking about something weird or unusual looking doesn't have to be large or aggressive just stand out

The horned goby stood out to me too..I haven't seen many of them

I can't figure the link because ingot it through a picture, but here are (2) if you can read captions.

Now those are amazing if my tank is suitable I think I may have just found my centerpiece! Thanks!

Oh ya and I guess I should of said this earlier but I had mentioned I am steering away from butterflies because I want a reef safe fish : / don't want something munching on hundreds of dollars of coral haha

Keep in mind there Arnt that many amazing fish for a tank that size sorry to say. Just don't get to picky I would tell you to go with a dwarf angel. Coral beautys are amazing little fish as ate flame angel. Just be sure to qt them because they like to break out in ich.

Back
Top Bottom