Sump Situtation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bnortz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I need some insight on my situation here. I'm new to saltwater and have done lots of research with a pretty good understanding on most things. I currently have a 60 gallon tank that's cycling right now. It's been almost a month since I started up. It has 10 lbs. of LR for now but I soon will add more. As of now, I have a HOB power filter, heater, and a small power head running. My dilemma here is what I'm going to do as far as a sump/refuge and a skimmer. I've tried fitting a 20 gal. glass tank but it's too big for my stand. I don't have any holes drilled and my question is, will I have tubes running down the back and coming in, with a pump returning it back up? Can I start without a sump as well as a skimmer for the first few months? I plan on adding a pair of clowns to begin. Any recommendations on what to use as a sump?

Thanks,

Ben

if you're going to drill, do it before you add water to the tank... can be disastrous if you add water first. if it's not reef ready you can get an overflow to the sump, I'm thinking about doing this. let me know how it goes and goodluck on your tank!

If you go with a sump you won't need the power filter,how are you trying to fit the 20g tank into the stand,you could reinforce tahe stand then remove one side and slide the sump in?
You'll have 2 sets of pipes,one from your tank and one from your sump,theres a basic tank and sump drawing in my profile to give you an idea.I struggled with sump sizes so i had 2 small ones instead.You can add a sump anytime you like,
I would also add more live rock now while your cycling otherwise make sure you cure the next lot to keep any mini cycles as small as poss.
You can also get away without a skimmer for the mean time but I would advise you to get one sooner rather than later and size it for a 100g tank,just make sure you keep doing 10=15% pwc every week.

if you're going to drill, do it before you add water to the tank... can be disastrous if you add water first. if it's not reef ready you can get an overflow to the sump, I'm thinking about doing this. let me know how it goes and goodluck on your tank!

Well, I never took the whole sump thing into consideration until after adding the water so that may be a problem so I'll have to go with an overflow.

If you go with a sump you won't need the power filter,how are you trying to fit the 20g tank into the stand,you could reinforce tahe stand then remove one side and slide the sump in?
You'll have 2 sets of pipes,one from your tank and one from your sump,theres a basic tank and sump drawing in my profile to give you an idea.I struggled with sump sizes so i had 2 small ones instead.You can add a sump anytime you like,
I would also add more live rock now while your cycling otherwise make sure you cure the next lot to keep any mini cycles as small as poss.
You can also get away without a skimmer for the mean time but I would advise you to get one sooner rather than later and size it for a 100g tank,just make sure you keep doing 10=15% pwc every week.

Well my front door on the cabinet is too narrow so it wouldnt go in. on the back there's like a 3 inch opening so that leaves me without a way to get it in without cutting out the back somehow. I'm adding some more LR this weekend actually found a really good deal for $1/lb on craigslist from a lady that lives nearby. If it's only a 5-10 min drive from her house to home, do I bother curing? I could put it in buckets to minimize die off...thanks for the help

and also i know a guy who makes acrylic so im getting a price on a sump that would fit my cabinet

Well my front door on the cabinet is too narrow so it wouldnt go in. on the back there's like a 3 inch opening so that leaves me without a way to get it in without cutting out the back somehow. I'm adding some more LR this weekend actually found a really good deal for $1/lb on craigslist from a lady that lives nearby. If it's only a 5-10 min drive from her house to home, do I bother curing? I could put it in buckets to minimize die off...thanks for the help

Should be fine,just in case try to keep the LR in sw,you never know with traffic.

Back
Top Bottom