The Start of my Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PistolPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tomorrow I am going to my "not so" local fish store (one hour commute) to get lighting for my tank. I want to be able to keep coral, and hopefully I can get some tomorrow as well. I want a light that will let me keep whatever I want. What do you recommend if I want the most "bang for my buck" when it comes to lighting my 29 gallon long. I have clowns that I want to host an anemone. That being said what would you recommend in terms of anemone and coral and what do I feed them? Thanks!

I know many people have success with their bubble tip anemone pair up with their clowns but are there others that are highly successfully? Also I see that people throw around the term t5 a lot when it comes to lighting... What makes t5's so good?

Bang for buck on lighting go with the aquaticlife t5 s with timers and moon lights for the 30 inch it costs around 330.00 if that not so lfs is way higher id check else where

I wouldn't recommend an anneomie quite yet they need an esablished tank.. wait like a year or so... if u want them to host something in the mean time get a decoration they can fit in like a ceramic teapot. They will host it..

Alright thanks! I know most people syay their fish store is out to get them but everything they always tell me is always on par with what you guys say... ill just go in and look and if prices seem a little high ill just buy online... are you sure my tank is too young for an anemone? It is very mature for how new it is... what do you think in terms of coral?

Coral.. right away as long as you have the lights on hand... and don't know if u are aware coral has no bio load so knock yourself out... only thing id be worried about in terms of coral is being aware of their flow and where to place them in terms of how close to the light

Just make sure ur lvls are good like your ammonia..nitrites etc... also.. what corals were u looking at? What salt brand are you using or going to switch to once corals are in..

Sorry to add more but you should see if there are any frag swaps around your area great for getting cheap frags.

Right now I am using instant ocean... And I don't know much about coral so I am unsure what I want to get...

PistolPete said:
Right now I am using instant ocean... And I don't know much about coral so I am unsure what I want to get...

I like it... once you get into various corals i recommend geting the reef crystals.. if i could recommend one for you which is often common.. us a frogspawn hardy.. pretty under attinc lighting and requires nothing but what already supplied by you salt and fish..

I think I might just hold off for a while on the light and wait until I can upgrade to a larger tank... in the meantime I will just try to find something for my fish to host

Any mushrooms are a great first coral. They're hardy and don't require a lot of light! Same with ricordea's. Chili coral and candy cane coral are also really great options.

I would say and this is just my honest opinion ..........start your smaller tank as a reef cuz face it u will want to upgrade and when u do and its a 125 or above do fowler. Just chose fish that are reef safe so when tour ready to take the plungevans spend a grand you can migrate every thing over.

I would say and this is just my honest opinion ..........start your smaller tank as a reef cuz face it u will want to upgrade and when u do and its a 125 or above do fowler. Just chose fish that are reef safe so when tour ready to take the plungevans spend a grand you can migrate every thing over.

Hmm that actually makes a lot of sense... I might take that advice I just need to plan out exactly how I want to do it... Thanks

Back
Top Bottom