What do you do when you are gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10 gal that is cycled and will get its first critter next week. If I like doing a salt tank and upgrade in size and creatures some day, I want to know what other people do to care for their tanks if they are going to be gone for more than 3-4 days. I am already dosing the tank every other day with an additive (reef fusion 2). I know some of you serious hobbyists do many maintenance things every day and have a lot more sensitive critters than I am ever going to think about having. What do you do to make sure they are alive when you come home after being gone?

I top off by hand right. How do I top off if I am not there? And, how would an auto topper know whether it needs it? I wouldn't want top off water added if it wasn't necessary.

Sorry about the newby questions.

It runs off of a float switch. If the switch drops below a specific level, it pumps water in from a container of water. I keep mine in a gallon jug as I've never had more than 1 gallon of evaporation in a day out of my system.

Depending on your systems evaporation. Will not work if too high.

Securely place a large water bottle upright in your sump lid slightly below your waterline. Filled with your ro/di water. After it is secured(whether by clamps, cut and bent acrylic etc... Unscrew the top.

Will act as emergency top off for a few days.

Not good for long term but could get you by if can't buy and setup an auto top off before you leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have an auto top off and have trained my father in law what to look for and what to feed them but I went away for over a week

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree with the top off. Something I wish I added to my system from the start. And your fish should survive a few days without feeding.

If you regularly leave for a few days you could buy a good automatic feeder.. or if you even just want to feed on a schedule everyday.

What about the stuff you are supposed to dose the tank with? I don't even have a fish yet but my Kh is low so I am dosing something every other day. Can you skip a few days on those things without crashing the tank?

Back
Top Bottom