Yay predatory tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's what I heard. Looks like I have a lot more research to do

Very nice. What else do you have in there?
I have a large purple tang,a koran angel(sub-adult) a gold bar maroon and a big 6 line wrasse...

It was my understanding when i was researching that the humu(picasso) generally was considered a good less aggressive one...I would not suggest one to anybody based on my experiences however :nono:

Would love a nice male crosshatch,also said to be pretty tame, even reef safe ,but thats a tough one to try and convince the wife of
They are so awesome looking IMO

FTMMWS said:
I have a large purple tang,a koran angel(sub-adult) a gold bar maroon and a big 6 line wrasse...

It was my understanding when i was researching that the humu(picasso) generally was considered a good less aggressive one...I would not suggest one to anybody based on my experiences however :nono:

Would love a nice male crosshatch,also said to be pretty tame, even reef safe ,but thats a tough one to try and convince the wife of
They are so awesome looking IMO

Generally speaking thru my own personal observations,...the picaso is much more docile than the REAL Hawaiian huhmuhumu, the rectangular triggerfish...my rectangular trigger is ithe one who seems to cause 99% of the trouble in my tank....... Also when observing them out on the hawaiian reefs ,..neither one likes to be watched and they get real spooky fast,...however the picaso seems to be a real. " fraidy cat". Whereas the humuhumu's seem to have a little attitude , I've watched them chase larger fish out of their territory .... Thank goodness they don't get to be four feet long or they'd be more feared than tiger sharks !!! Another two weeks from today and I'll be there again to check 'em out. :)

Wow,i would love to be in your shoes...Observing them in nature would be so great...Have fun...Do you have any pics from your previous times out?

Again ,i have read a lot about the picasso and how its said to be more docile,,mine however is a beast...,and i'm really starting to hate him!

FTMMWS said:
Wow,i would love to be in your shoes...Observing them in nature would be so great...Have fun...Do you have any pics from your previous times out?

Again ,i have read a lot about the picasso and how its said to be more docile,,mine however is a beast...,and i'm really starting to hate him!

.... On my first trip to Hawaii many years ago,..my main objective was to see a humuhumu in the wild,...ever since then I've been hooked and have tried to make it back every year to do the same,... Unfortunately , this trip we'll be going to Maui instead of the big island ( my favorite place to snorkel) ,.. I know the big island much better and IMO the water is generally much much cleaner ( very few sandy beaches to stir things up,..just lava and water)..,but we're going to try a couple of new areas so who knows maybe I'll find the humuhumu Breeding grounds .... So here's a few pics that I had on this iPad,..there's a couple of humu's a parrot fish, racoon fish etc..hope that kinda gives you an idea...can't wait!

Awesome,,thanks for sharing ..i bet that parrot was huge!

I'm pretty jealous right now:lol:
Have fun again

Very beautiful. Ya I am jealous too. Last time I was in the keys you couldn't get me out of the water. I miss it

While we are on the triggerfish topic,...here's a really cool thing I observed in Hawaii,...the first photo should be of a large pink tailed triggerfish next to a large yellowish triggerfish that I'm sorry to say I do not have an ID on,... But the next couple of pictures kinda tells the story ,...these yellow trigger fish will turn completely upside down when they are approached or feeding on the reef,...I've seen this behavior more than once so apparently it's something that they do periodically ,...maybe Greg has seen this behavior too ? Does any one know what kind of triggers these may be and why they act this way ?? they're not real common in the areas I've snorkeled but occasionally I've run across them doing their act.. Just thought you'd like to see something interesting from under the reef,.... Dary

i currently am keeping a true humu-humu trigger, along with a Niger trigger (and obviously other fish) i must say the humu-humu is pretty unpredictable in terms of compatibility, when i bought my black volitan lion,powder brown tang, and blue-spot puffer, my humu-humu didnt even bother them once. but i bought a rainbow wrasse and he just would not leave him alone and eventually killed him.ive noticed a trend though, my humu-humu will bump into a new fish and wait for a reaction, if the fish darts off and tries to get away, the humu will hunt it down and start beating it up. on the other hand, if the fish doest do anything or even goes after the humu, the humu accepts it and leaves the fish alone. My marron and yellow clownfish will actually steal krill right from the mouth of the humu...and gets away with it cleanly lol. Although he does intially want to attack any hand that comes into the tank, its simple and easy to "train" him to not attack your hand. i can now, after 4-5 days of repeated training, keep my hands in the tank for 30-45 minutes at a time without getting bit. on the other hand, my Niger trigger is nicknamed Dumbo...because he has nooo clue whats going on.. ever

Hahahaha that's hilarious I can't wait to get this tank set up.

I really want to do a baby clown trigger in there what are your thoughts Huma

Sweet pics ,,no clue what that yellow trigg is ,but i like it:lol:

I hate my Humu(picasso) ,,about 99% sure he's a goner ..Only thing is i have had him for a few years and watched him grow,,so its gonna be tough...Who knows ,maybe he'll be better in the bigger tank,but i would rather have another angel over him

huma-huma said:
i currently am keeping a true humu-humu trigger, along with a Niger trigger (and obviously other fish) i must say the humu-humu is pretty unpredictable in terms of compatibility, when i bought my black volitan lion,powder brown tang, and blue-spot puffer, my humu-humu didnt even bother them once. but i bought a rainbow wrasse and he just would not leave him alone and eventually killed him.ive noticed a trend though, my humu-humu will bump into a new fish and wait for a reaction, if the fish darts off and tries to get away, the humu will hunt it down and start beating it up. on the other hand, if the fish doest do anything or even goes after the humu, the humu accepts it and leaves the fish alone. My marron and yellow clownfish will actually steal krill right from the mouth of the humu...and gets away with it cleanly lol. Although he does intially want to attack any hand that comes into the tank, its simple and easy to "train" him to not attack your hand. i can now, after 4-5 days of repeated training, keep my hands in the tank for 30-45 minutes at a time without getting bit. on the other hand, my Niger trigger is nicknamed Dumbo...because he has nooo clue whats going on.. ever

Yeah they're a handful alright,..my picaso is the only trigger that'll bite me when I put my hand in the tank, my rectangular darts into the rocks,...however,..once I leave the tank the dr jeckel transformation takes place and you might as well put the theme music from " jaws" on cuz here he comes and who knows what it's going to do,.... All in all ya gotta love'em cuz they got spunk .

hiltymj said:
I really want to do a baby clown trigger in there what are your thoughts Huma

The clowns will grow very big and turn very very aggressive,...they may be fine for awhile but sooner or later they'll demolish their tank mates or something else, very unpredictable ,.and you better have a HUGE tank also.

I would only do a clown trigger in a 125 or bigger. (Can't remember your tank size) other than that id say go for it. The one thing you have to remember is triggers can get 10" and even bigger up to 15-20" in some breeds. Once your clown is full grown, id imagine he'd be somewhere in the 12-15" range, at that point it'll be hard to add new fish because they will be too small to survive

Ya I'm raising them in a 75 for now and then moving them into a 300 and the clown is just by far my favorite so Im definitely going go take the risk.

I have a Picasso trigger and he is so docile. It's only 2" but hasn't bothered anything (yet). I also plan to get a Niger trigger

Ok so how should i cycle this tank? Ive never cycled a predatory tank.

I've got 32 pounds of live rock in there and I'll be adding more tomorrow maybe. But there will be 75 pounds total in there soon.

So how else should I cycle it?

Just wait slither, he will develop quite a personality. And hilty, cycle it as you would any other tank

Back
Top Bottom