Zack's 310 gallon Reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The mp60 arrived DOA!!! So I opened a dispute against the eBay seller and he is refunding my money tonight. It was listed as new unused unopened in sealed box.

It came with an opened seal, broken dryside, and salt residue on the dry side spacer.

SO IM SENDIND IT BACK AND I WILL BE BUYING A NEW QUIET DRIVE INSTEAD!!

My question to you all is: Should I purchase 2 mp40 Quiet drives which would give me a total of 3 Mp40's???
OR
Should I get 1 Mp60 Quiet Drive and run it with my current MP40?
The pumps will all be on the left side of the tank, which will be the peninsula side that is on the wall.

Last edited:
My blue chin trigger decided to abandon ship 4 minutes ago. I fished him back into the tank, ran downstairs to get the glass lids, and set them up on the top of the tank. I raised the percentage of the AI Hydra 52's by 3% per color/bulb.

Should I raise the light percentage more? IS the glass going to block to much of the light spectrum? I understand that I have t clean the glass daily do to salt. But I'm keeping the lids on there until I get new tank running. This is the second time he has gotten spooked and jumped out. It will also raise heat too so ill be looking into egg crate tops again. uggghhh.. Why can't everything run smoothly. :(

I think I'm more worried about the corals getting the correct lighting at this point though. everything is doing well and i don't want this to change.... should i take the glass lids off??

Ok then I will get the 2 mp40 quiet drives :) You have much more experience than me :D Thank you so much!

Ok I'm thinking about the reef octopus Regal 300INT or the Regal 300SSS.. Actually I need to find out if the seamless sump has a 12inch or wider tub........ hm...

Trying to purchase before memorial day from Bulk Reef Supply because they have 10% off coupon. Not a bad deal. So I might as well get what I need. I might also get a 50b box of dry rock so I can cure it and play with it until the tank gets ordered and arrives :D

So I'm driving to the Charleston Aquarium. I will stay over night and will be going early tomorrow morning. I will also look for a couple fish stores. :D I will be tackling the Georgia aquarium sometime next month maybe~~~

So I want a group of Anthias.. These will be going in the new tank. How many Anthers can I do? I would like 10-15 of the Lyretail, Bartlett, or Disbar... Any suggestions on the most hardy and easiest to fee Anthias? Would 10-15 be ok to have?

I ordered the Reef Octopus 300sss skimmer to save on space in my sump. I'm also thinking about the Apex system. any suggestions? I would be willing to get the $550 version or the Gold version. I guess I don't quite understand what makes the Gold better? Can anyone enlighten me on this? :?

Awesome! I guess I will check Craigslist religiously. :D So the tank will be here 8-10 weeks later. This is probably the hardest thing..... Waiting.... I will be getting the Dry Pukani rock this Thursday. So I will play with that and then I'll have to start curing it. thinking about some nice pieces of Tonga rock also!

What light should I use for the sump btw?? I can get a couple smaller hydras.. Or can I really get away with a 6000k bulb from Home Depot????

Also looking into a dslr. The Canon 60d and Nikon d7100 have my attention. Would a cheaper alternative such as the Canon Rebel t5i be good for taking great photos of corals?? Any one have a dslr that they recommend?

Yes, a simple 5000k home depot light will work fine for algae. I wouldn't spend hundreds on a fixture for the refugium, unless you intend to put corals in there from time to time.
As for the camera, I had a lot of luck with a P&S underwater camera- much cheaper than a dslr and you can also use it when you scuba/snorkel on vacation.
I use a canon d10, which seems to work just fine. They have made some advances with the latest models, but I'm not feeling the need to warrant the upgrade just yet.

Browse my PB folder for examples. Doug Kurceba's (GORILLA_MONSOON) Recent Uploads | Photobucket

Wow! I have heard that a few people have good luck with the Kessil a150 7500k model in their sump. Maybe a little overkill though. Especially if a cheap clip on light will do the job:) Thank you for that info!

Thanks for the clarification on the cameras also. I feel like the ones that are 5 years old just have a little less features than the newer ones! So I feel the same way haha. I guess I will look into an older model and maybe be able to get a used one on craigslist:)

So for whatever reason the trigger decided to jump this morning again!! I went to Lowes to look for some egg crate and got acrylic sheets instead. ( I had been looking for those for so long!!!). I spent a few hours with the dremel making a good cut out so the edges of the tank are covered about 4-6 inches all around. He isn't getting out of there again.;)

So I'm looking into adding a Fairy Wrasse now that I have the cover on the tank. Maybe a Golden Dwarf Moray Eel also. There's a guy on ebay who has them for $100 each. Yu have to pay for the air rate and box. But I think I might go that route. Any Yays or nays on this?

I actually might be wanting a frag tank in the refugium. But I will probably just add a 20 gallon rimless tank and make a precut on the stand so I can see the frags from the outside of the tank stand when I enter the house or walk into the office. maybe some seahorses too. Going to depend on flow i guess because of the frags...

Back
Top Bottom