10 g stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan_Forbz

Aquarium Advice Activist
looking at getting a 4th tank, just either for a separate community to my 30 g, and also for a different variety of fish. i have a few ideas listed below:

1: get a male betta with a few female betta's , ratio of about 1:3.
2: start a massive guppy fest. and see how that goes.
3: school of neons, with a expensive pleco ( until he gets bigger)

can anyone think of any ideas that could work well , in such a small tank?

Planted tank, school of tetras with red cherry shrimp. Breed the shimp. They sell really well if you get a good red color.

planted definitely, i have alot of the anubias barteri at the moment that would b perfect in it. though they are big they should be alright. that sounds like a good idea, ill definately consider it :) any others?

I wouldn't go with guppies. You'll have an infestation in no time. I would try getting some type of tetras. Maybe get a pleco that doesn't get very large like a bristlenose and maybe a cory cat or two.

Cories need to be in groups of at least 6-8. You could get a group of dwarf cories and some sparkling gouramis.

Cories need to be in groups of at least 6-8. You could get a group of dwarf cories and some sparkling gouramis.

I agree, they do better in schools. But I have one alone in my 10g tank and he is perfectly happy. He's just as active as the group that I have in my 55g tank. They're very good scavangers to have and you don't have to worry about aggression. You can fit two in there if you like but make sure you don't overstock.

The more cories you have, the more personality there will be. They are a lot more comfortable with buddies.

Yeah..but there's not too many options for a 10g. I'm actually look for a couple more for my big tank. I love them.

i would go with divided betta tank =] those are always fun hehe, you can actually do about 3-5 female bettas, would be great since you have a planted tank, reduces LOS ^_^ keep it at a odd number

all good ideas , thanks people, ive got some bristlenose catfish in my big aquarium, so it would be fine if they actually started breeding, and sell off the rest. never had any cory cats before, so that could be a fun experiment. as for betta splendens , females arent like the males and wont kill each other will they? i wouldnt mind breeding those.

i wouldnt mind trying gourami's again, (last time i got one my swordtails decided they didnt like him and ate hit fins.) i tried my best to save him in a breeder trap but sadly he was too badly injured. rather funny though, in australia supposedly you can't buy female gourami's at any pet stores because they are illegal or something.

tetra's perhaps, they have to be in schools though dont they? can they be in schools of different tetras?

as for plants: does plants like java moss just keep growing or slowly die like all those little pots of hairgrass, etc, you can get at the LFS?

can any one think of any other ideas? i'd love to hear them :)

i dont know about killing each other, but they will nip each others fin, you can reduce aggression by keeping them in bigger groups, keep it odd though

all good ideas , thanks people, ive got some bristlenose catfish in my big aquarium, so it would be fine if they actually started breeding, and sell off the rest. never had any cory cats before, so that could be a fun experiment. as for betta splendens , females arent like the males and wont kill each other will they? i wouldnt mind breeding those.

i wouldnt mind trying gourami's again, (last time i got one my swordtails decided they didnt like him and ate hit fins.) i tried my best to save him in a breeder trap but sadly he was too badly injured. rather funny though, in australia supposedly you can't buy female gourami's at any pet stores because they are illegal or something.

tetra's perhaps, they have to be in schools though dont they? can they be in schools of different tetras?

as for plants: does plants like java moss just keep growing or slowly die like all those little pots of hairgrass, etc, you can get at the LFS?

can any one think of any other ideas? i'd love to hear them :)

Tetras only school with tetras of the same type. I hate that they do that, but it's just the way it is. Cory cats are great fish to watch if you have a small school of them, so you can try to find some dwarf cories. Gouramis are a bad idea in a 10g tank. They tend to chase anything you put in there because there's not enough space for it. Neon or Cardinal tetras are always nice to look at. One of my favorite tetra is the Long Fin Red Minor tetra. Petsmart sells them. They are very close to Serpae tetras but a lot prettier. They would do well in your 10g with a small school of 6 with maybe some dwarf cories and a bristlenose.

I was talking about sparkling gouramis, they are very peaceful and you could do 3 or 5 of them in a 10 gallon. There are a couple other dwarf varieties as well. IMO cardinal tetras need way more room than a 10 gallon

One of my favorite tetra is the Long Fin Red Minor tetra. Petsmart sells them. They are very close to Serpae tetras but a lot prettier. They would do well in your 10g with a small school of 6 with maybe some dwarf cories and a bristlenose.

that's so funny because just today i was looking at these fish on petsmart's website :D. they are having a 10 fish for $10 dollar sale (till the end of august!) so i was checking it out. i thought they were so pretty and i did a little research, and they are the same thing as serpae tetras. it's just another name for them, and they are the long-finned version. i as well was thinking about getting a small school of them (8-10) for my 10g tank. if i were you i would consider pitbull plecos. although they like buddies. i have one and he hides a lot, like cories they are more playful with a group (i'd like 2 more in my 20g). in a 10 gal you may be able to do 2 of them with enough filtration and a good maintenance schedule.

I bought four of the red minors for my 55g last week...one got eaten by one of my clawed frogs...got them from Petsmart for $1 each..probably will get more

that's so funny because just today i was looking at these fish on petsmart's website :D. they are having a 10 fish for $10 dollar sale (till the end of august!) so i was checking it out. i thought they were so pretty and i did a little research, and they are the same thing as serpae tetras. it's just another name for them, and they are the long-finned version. i as well was thinking about getting a small school of them (8-10) for my 10g tank. if i were you i would consider pitbull plecos. although they like buddies. i have one and he hides a lot, like cories they are more playful with a group (i'd like 2 more in my 20g). in a 10 gal you may be able to do 2 of them with enough filtration and a good maintenance schedule.

OMG where is this sale you speak of?! I am looking for the 10 for 10 thing on the website but I dont see it. Is it just any fish???

EDIT- Looks like LM might be getting some regular white clouds to compliment her golden white clouds! Just have to see what to do for QT... no way am I letting my precious GWCS get petsmart TB lol

I really like that long finned minor tetra as well. Reminds me of a mini koi or something lol. As for the sale, I thought it was just these Petsmart.com

You think those guys would get a long with my GWCs?

Sorry for the temp thread jack... they will kill me if I make another one lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom