10 Gallon Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leader-Of-The-Fish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone! I currently have a ten gallon tank that has been up and running for around 4 months or so now. Ialready have 5 Von Rio tetras in it. I was wondering if there would be room for one or two platys. If I would get one should it be male or female? If I get two should I get both female?

Thank youfor your help! :D

If you get one, it doesn't matter whether it's male or female. Which ever you prefer.
If you get two, I would get two of the same gender unless you plan on breeding them. I may lean more towards two females because I don't know if the males would show aggression even without a female present.

Leader-Of-The-Fish said:
Thanks for your help. So does that mean adding a Platy or two is not overstocking?

I don't think so. If all you have is a couple of tetras, they don't have a very large bioload. I think you're safe to add a platy or two.

IMO I don't think von rios would belong in that size tank. They're very active and a ten gallon would restrict their swimming space, which I don't think is fair to the fish.

You could get two platies and a group of schoolers. What's your filtration and nitrate concentration?

Already have the Von Rios in the tank. It's been running for over 4 months now. I already did a fishless cycle around 8 months ago. All of my sources have told me the Von Rios would be fine in a ten gallon.

In that case now that you know, would it be okay?

Back
Top Bottom