10 gallon stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azmodan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'd like to stock my ten galloon with 2 dwarf puffers and 2 honey gourami's (and small basic pond snails). Assuming the tank is both heavily planted and well-decorated with lots of places to hide is this an ok match? I understand that honey gourami's are very timid and dps can be aggressive but with adequate hiding places would it possibly work? How about bioload-wise?

I personally feel that it won't work. Dwarf puffers do better in A species tank. Plus dp are carnivorous I think and honey Gouramis are herbivorous. I wouldn't risk it.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'm planning on getting a much bigger tank but for now I'd just like a good community tank, so I'm going to keep the dps in a species only tank. Hey bettaowner, are you on Oahu? Just wondering if you have recommendations for any particular pet stores.

Just so you know I'm pretty sure the puffers you want will need to be converted FW to brackish to SW so a mixed tank wouldn't work unless you wanna seperate but for a 10 gallon you are very limited. Is this your first tank? Have you considered a betta with maybe a small school of neons. Bettas have great personality and neons overlooked due to availability even though they having stunning colors.

There are plenty of freshwater only puffers that never need any salinity, the pea puffers being one of them. If you are going to keep these little guys make sure it is species only you also want plenty of live plants for natural boundaries and cover you could probably keep three in a ten gallon I have done it with success in the past. They also need either frozen or live foods and you need to make sure not to overfeed. They need some caves also the small cichlid stones work pretty well for this. Any other questions ask away there are a few folks on here that keep these little guys that are extremely knowledgable.

Yeah, the two dps that I've now got are completely freshwater. I have them in a very heavily planted species-only tank, and they seem to really enjoy hanging around each other (at night they even rest on the same leaf together).

My little guys all hang out together you will see them swimming around in a line together.

Back
Top Bottom