10g Fish suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NikNak

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I'm starting/finishing a 10g fishless cycle. Ammonia/Nitrites are both at 0ppm. Probably going to give it a few more days to make sure the ammonia gets eaten up after one more dose. Nitrates are at 20ppms which I believe is a good number.
I'm simply interested in all suggestions and opinions on what fish are good in 10gallon tanks
I'm thinking for now :

1 Platy
2 fancy guppies (possibly a breeding pair)
5 ghost shrimp

Other then that I'm not entirely sure what other options I have. I'm SUPER open to suggestions and any information provided. The listed fish have room to be removed and replaced. I rather like the idea of the guppies and definitely love shrimp. I have about 13 in a 29 gallon and they are just awesome. I'm undecided on the Platy only because I know they have a large Bio-load. However, like I said I'm open to suggestions.

What are my options :D

The stocking you have sounds fine, I think a ten gallon is fine for just ONE platy.

Just suggestions: shellies, neon or ember tetras, harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, CPDs, betta, sparkling gourami, honey DG, pygmy cories, killifish, pencilfish, pygmy hatchets, dwarf loaches, endler's livebearers and/or gertude's rainbows or smaller.

I also considered getting a betta or a Honey Dwarf Gourami but I know nothing about gourami. Do they require anything specific?

What exactly would the Betta and/or Gourami be compatible with?

NikNak said:
I also considered getting a betta or a Honey Dwarf Gourami but I know nothing about gourami. Do they require anything specific?

What exactly would the Betta and/or Gourami be compatible with?

I have a betta with 3 endlers and 1 platy and also 4 temporary peppered cories. They all get along but it honestly depends on the betta. I keep a good eye on my water parameters as would you. But I think a betta or a dwarf gourami would be good, I've never had a dg...

I wouldn't put a DG and a betta together in a 10g. Might be a little too much 'tude for the gallonage. Bettas have a wide ranging personality: some of them would be fine, other will pick fights. I've head of bettas going after fancy guppies because they confuse them for other bettas (due to their fins).

A betta OR a gourami and a platy would be a nice tank imo. Ghost shrimp would be absolutely doable as well, as long as you don't get a bugger of a betta.

How about:

1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Platy
2 fancy guppies
? ghost shrimp

Too much?

How about:

1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Platy
2 fancy guppies
? ghost shrimp

Too much?
you would need at least 3 guppies(2f/1m) if you did both genders. other than that,it sounds good

How about:

1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Platy
2 fancy guppies
? ghost shrimp

Too much?

Yup sounds great to me! Just like alexX said, if your breeding 2f:1m. Also, this is just me but I'd also look into RCS and other like them... but then again I love shrimp and would want some color;)

So the grand total would be:

1 dwarf gourami
1 platy
3 guppies (2 females 1 male)
And shrimp

That sounds good? Not over packed or anything of the sort?

Another question. I know Platies have a large bioload but what about gourami's? It it safe to assume that since it's a "larger" fish that it's bioload is large too?

So the grand total would be:

1 dwarf gourami
1 platy
3 guppies (2 females 1 male)
And shrimp

That sounds good? Not over packed or anything of the sort?

Another question. I know Platies have a large bioload but what about gourami's? It it safe to assume that since it's a "larger" fish that it's bioload is large too?

sounds good. dont forget to cycle it:) the gourami would have a larger bioload than the others but not a really big one

sounds good. dont forget to cycle it:) the gourami would have a larger bioload than the others but not a really big one

just look at the top post (y)

Mkay. Just making sure I know all the twists and bends before I consider getting anything.:fish2:

I agree that your stock looks good. Have you considered a snail? Snails are cute! Mysteries add to the bioload but ramshorns not so much.

I personally really don't like ghost shrimp, compared to other shrimp species. I hate that they eat my fry!

Honestly ghost shrimp are the only shrimp I've had experience with. Any suggestions? In my experience with them, I never had fry so Im not knowledgeable as far as fry/shrimp rivalries.

Ive never had luck with snails. Mystery snails seem so sensitive to me. any suggestions on snails and shrimp?

def mystery snails, i love mine :D and i used to have ghost shrimp (until they were eaten by my betta haha) and they were fun to watch :)

def mystery snails, i love mine :D and i used to have ghost shrimp (until they were eaten by my betta haha) and they were fun to watch :)

I love my ghost shrimp. They are feisty little guys and when it comes to feeding time, they are all over the place. So fun to watch. My problem is that I've had a few mystery snails in the past and they always died on me. Might have been just bad snails from the store but Im not sure. I suppose I could try one and see how it goes. still prefer shrimp. haha

You can get a nerite snail or Assassin snail, they don't mass produce like the other snails and keep the tank pretty clean.

1. Would those coexist with shrimp/fish well?
2. would you consider them hearty?

NikNak said:
I love my ghost shrimp. They are feisty little guys and when it comes to feeding time, they are all over the place. So fun to watch. My problem is that I've had a few mystery snails in the past and they always died on me. Might have been just bad snails from the store but Im not sure. I suppose I could try one and see how it goes. still prefer shrimp. haha

You could always do both! I have some ghost shrimp and a nerite in my 8g tank and it stays fairly clean considering that my 9 year old sister keeps the light on 12+ hrs a day! But they're pretty good!!! I like them but I like the colored shrimp better;)

You could always do both! I have some ghost shrimp and a nerite in my 8g tank and it stays fairly clean considering that my 9 year old sister keeps the light on 12+ hrs a day! But they're pretty good!!! I like them but I like the colored shrimp better;)

Any shrimp suggestions on the color side? :cool:

NikNak said:
1. Would those coexist with shrimp/fish well?
2. would you consider them hearty?

Yes they're both in my 10g with Ghost Shrimp and guppies/powder blue gourami.
I would say they are, their is no heater and just introduced into the tank that's it. Assassin snail is always moving the substrate around, and nerite is always cleaning the diatoms off the glass.

Back
Top Bottom