2 Weeks for 'instant cycle'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just wanted to report because I know it a common question on the forums..

On November 9th, I set up my new 46g bow-front. I transferred all of the plants, decorations, fish, and 1 power filter from my 29g tank. I changed the filter cartridge on the power filter before I transferred it too - I know thats a no-no but it was falling apart and figured the decorations, plants, and bio-wheel had some bacteria on it anyways.

I did seed my new sand bed with a cup filled with the black gravel from my 29g tank too.

Had nitrAtes 2 days after filling the tank. No NitrItes at all.

Ammonia was trace but at times, built up alittle to .10-.20. I did 25%PWC's to combat this mini-cycle. It must've been Thursday I noticed the water was cloudy. Wasnt home much Friday, but today its crystal clear.

Well, checked my water today - the trace ammonia is totally gone, still no nitrItes as always, but I had a motherload of nitrAtes (40-60!). I did a 50% WC, retested, and Im down to .5 now. When I tested the other day, I only had 10 maybe

So in my case, it took 16 days to "instant-cycle" my tank fully. I did have a little registering of nitrAtes right away, but my ammonia was lingering and at times spiking. Just an FYI.

Back
Top Bottom