20 gallon cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orickx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there, I'm back in the hobby after about ten years. Got a tank for my son & I to enjoy.

Currently doing fish in cycling with 5 zebra danios in a 20 gallon tank. Have had the tank cycling for three days now, tests all look good, fish look like they're having fun & the water is clear.

How soon should I do a PWC & how much water to change out?
- Question about changing water - when I add the water condition to the new water going in to the tank. Do I add conditioner for the 5 gallons I put in or add conditioner for the 20 gallons again?

I wouldn't do a PWC until the ammonia level starts to rise.

I wouldn't do a PWC until the ammonia level starts to rise.

Great thanks. Also when I add the water conditioner, let's say I change 5 gallons of water, do I add conditioner equivalent to 5 gallons (in to the bucket of new water). Or do I put the new water in & add the conditioner for the 5 gallons or for the whole 20 gallons?

Great thanks. Also when I add the water conditioner, let's say I change 5 gallons of water, do I add conditioner equivalent to 5 gallons (in to the bucket of new water). Or do I put the new water in & add the conditioner for the 5 gallons or for the whole 20 gallons?
You add it for the 5 gallons. You can chose to put the water in then add the conditioner for the 5 gallon, just make sure to turn the filter off. As for the water change, wait for it to get to ammonia ppm 1, then change 25%.
Also, for the water conditioner, add a bit more, like for 5,5 gallons or 6 gallons.

Fish-In Cycling

Hey there, I'm back in the hobby after about ten years. Got a tank for my son & I to enjoy.

Currently doing fish in cycling with 5 zebra danios in a 20 gallon tank. Have had the tank cycling for three days now, tests all look good, fish look like they're having fun & the water is clear.

How soon should I do a PWC & how much water to change out?
- Question about changing water - when I add the water condition to the new water going in to the tank. Do I add conditioner for the 5 gallons I put in or add conditioner for the 20 gallons again?

Hello orick...

The idea of fish-in cycling is to grow the good bacteria quickly. So, you test the tank water daily. If your test shows a trace of ammonia or nitrite, you change 25 percent of the water and replace it with pure, treated tap water and just add enough treatment for the new water.

This is all that's needed to get the water chemistry back into the "safe zone" for your fish. You don't need to remove more than a quarter of the water. If you do, you delay the cycling process, because you remove the nutrients the microscopic bugs need to reproduce.

When several tests show no trace of either ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled. The process takes about a month or a bit longer.

B

Hey there, just did my tests for the day using API Test kit. My ammonia is at 1 - 2 ppm. I should now do a 25% water change? I should treat the 5 gallons I change with the water treatment liquid & then put it in correct?

Hey there, just did my tests for the day using API Test kit. My ammonia is at 1 - 2 ppm. I should now do a 25% water change? I should treat the 5 gallons I change with the water treatment liquid & then put it in correct?
Change 25%. And yes, you can treat the 5 gallons before you put it in, or even after, just make sure to turn the filter off if you select the latter.

Alrighty, I got 5 gallons changed out & water treated.

What should I do/look for now? I will give them a small feeding tonight. When should I test next? What should I look for on the tests?

Alrighty, I got 5 gallons changed out & water treated.

What should I do/look for now? I will give them a small feeding tonight. When should I test next? What should I look for on the tests?
Test tomorrow first thing in the morning. If not, you must always wait at least 1 hour before testing after a water change.

Fish-In Tank Cycling

Hello again orick...

That's right. Just change enough water 25 to 30 percent to remove enough of the nitrogen to keep your fish alive, but leave enough for the bacteria to grow. This is why you use hardy fish. Zebra Danios are tough little guys and will survive the cycling process.

Your job is to test the water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite and do your water changes right away when needed. You only need to treat the new water that goes into the tank, so just treat the 5 gallons or so of new water.

B

I disagree with the blanket 25% water change statement. You should do a water change based on your test results to keep ammonia and nitrite at <.25 (.5 max). So if ammonia is 1-2, I'd do at least one 50% water change which should cut it by half. Test again in a couple of hours. If it's still over .25-.5, do another water change These guides may be of some help:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Water Changes

I disagree with the blanket 25% water change statement. You should do a water change based on your test results to keep ammonia and nitrite at <.25 (.5 max). So if ammonia is 1-2, I'd do at least one 50% water change which should cut it by half. Test again in a couple of hours. If it's still over .25-.5, do another water change These guides may be of some help:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Hello library...

Always good to have experienced advice. However, if you adhere to the steps of using just a few, small, hardy fish to cycle the tank, testing the tank water daily and when a test shows a trace of ammonia or nitrite, change 25 to 30 percent water with pure, treated tap water, this will maintain reasonably safe water conditions for the fish and provide enough nitrogen for the bacteria to reproduce.

The problems start when we get creative and add too many fish, the wrong kind of fish, fail to test the water properly or slack off on the daily water changes.

Just one reporter's opinion, though.

B

Hey guys, back with an update. I changed 25% of the water as instructed. I retested yesterday morning & the Ammonia was up around 1.5 ppm according to API Test Kit, so I did another 25% water change yesterday morning around 10 am.

I tested the water this morning 11:30 am, I have the following readings. (I set up my tank Saturday, so this is Day 5).

Ammonia - around 0.5 ppm
Nitrite - is very purple 2.0 ppm - 5 ppm
Nitrate - between 0 ppm - 5 ppm

How am I looking? I know Nitrite is supposed to spike like this, so am I in good shape right now? Anything I need to do today with these readings?

Zebra Danios look good, normal swimming, normal eating. (I feed just a small pinch in the evenings).

Fish-In Tank Cycling

Hey guys, back with an update. I changed 25% of the water as instructed. I retested yesterday morning & the Ammonia was up around 1.5 ppm according to API Test Kit, so I did another 25% water change yesterday morning around 10 am.

I tested the water this morning 11:30 am, I have the following readings. (I set up my tank Saturday, so this is Day 5).

Ammonia - around 0.5 ppm

How am I looking? I know Nitrite is supposed to spike like this, so am I in good shape right now? Anything I need to do today with these readings?

Zebra Danios look good, normal swimming, normal eating. (I feed just a small pinch in the evenings).

Hello again o...

Apparently, from your tests, your tank is well on the way to completing the "nitrogen cycle" in a reasonable time. You could help the cause by getting some stem plants floating in the tank water. I like Anacharis (Brazilian Waterweed). This plant is a "nutrient hog" and will thrive in the nitrogen rich water. Your local Petco should carry this plant for a couple of dollars a bunch. Plants help the cycling process by using a bit of the nitrogen produced by the dissolved fish waste.

Test every day and remove a quarter of the tank water when a test shows even a trace of ammonia or nitrites. Your Zebra Danios will be fine as long as you do your job.

When several daily tests show no trace of either of these two forms of nitrogen, your tank is cycled. If you decide to add more hardy fish, you must resume daily water testing and changing the water as before. Fancy Guppies, Platys, and White Clouds are also good starter fish.

Good job!

B

I am beginning the second stage of my cycle as well. I am thinking about the anacharis.... How much light is required? My top has LED lights. Will that work?

Ammonia - around 0.5 ppm

Nitrite is supposed to spike yes but with fish in the tank, nitrites at 5 are at very toxic levels and 25% water changes aren't going to lower them fast enough to keep the fish safe. I'd do a few 50% water changes a couple of hours apart to get those nitrites down (<.5).

Hello library...

Always good to have experienced advice. However, if you adhere to the steps of using just a few, small, hardy fish to cycle the tank, testing the tank water daily and when a test shows a trace of ammonia or nitrite, change 25 to 30 percent water with pure, treated tap water, this will maintain reasonably safe water conditions for the fish and provide enough nitrogen for the bacteria to reproduce.

The problems start when we get creative and add too many fish, the wrong kind of fish, fail to test the water properly or slack off on the daily water changes.

Just one reporter's opinion, though.

B

I agree, when a trace amount of ammonia/nitrite are showing that a 25% water change would be enough. But with levels at over 1 and now nitrites at 5, a 25% water change wouldn't be enough to lower them to safe levels.

Hey all, back with an update. Tell me how I'm looking...

Day 9 of my fish in cycle (5 Zebra Danios).

Did a 25% (5 gallon) water change Sunday, was going to do one again tonight after my testings. (API Test Kit).

My testings show the following:

0.25 ppm - Ammonia
+/- 2.0 ppm NitrIte
5.0 - 10.0 ppm NitrAte

Looks like my Ammonia is falling, NitrItes are high & I'm not sure if my NitrAte is looking good.

What do I need to do tonight? I added a few live plants about a half hour ago to help bring down the NitrIte. Added Anacharis & some Cabomba (2 sets of each, four bunches total).

How am I looking?

Fish-In Cycling

Hello o...

Test daily and remove a quarter of the water when you have a positive test for ammonia or nitrites. You want to grow the bacteria that feeds on these forms of nitrogen. I wouldn't recommend testing and removing water more than once a day.

Remember, when you have several daily tests that show "0" ammonia or nitrites, your tank is cycled. You'll get plenty of practice doing large water changes once the tank is established. In the mean time, I would keep doing the above.

B

Just a personal opinion here but just because a fish is hardy and can survive higher levels of toxins it doesn't mean that they enjoy it or that it is a nice way to treat them. We are always advocating for the proper treatment of fish on this forum so maybe this is another area where we can try to educate about what is best for the fish?

Back
Top Bottom