20g stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My 2 cents- if you properly layer driftwood and lava rock creating multilevel growth and a built up substrate with bunches of leafy floating plants and broadleaf mid level plants there's a lot of things you can get away with... Smoke and mirrors effects with decor plants and lighting can definitely convince shy fish that they are alone and make territorial fights less common...

Yes it was petsmart with the dead rams. Understand that fish die. Especially since they are probably recently shipped. Just couldn't understand why employees didn't clean out.

Gonna hold out on rams till I get a bigger tank. Def gonna get a small school of Cory's and don't want them to get picked on.

Yes it was petsmart with the dead rams. Understand that fish die. Especially since they are probably recently shipped. Just couldn't understand why employees didn't clean out.

Gonna hold out on rams till I get a bigger tank. Def gonna get a small school of Cory's and don't want them to get picked on.

Have you checked out barbs, rainbow fish (Iranian red are a stunning variety), or larger tetra like longskirted hifin serapae, diamond, bleeding heart, emperor or Buenos Aires? These might be a good start for what I think you're aiming for in the look of your tank

There's no problem with a ram in a 20 gallon high. I have a bolivian ram in my 20H, with no problems so far. Plus, it will be planted. I don't see why not...

Also, where in NC are you? I live in Cary! :D

I live in greensboro and you may be fine with 1 bolivian ram by itself in a 20g high but not with a bunch of rasboras and nosy cories

I live in greensboro and you may be fine with 1 bolivian ram by itself in a 20g high but not with a bunch of rasboras and nosy cories

Hey- if you take out the cories and add pork chop Bora instead of harlequin you would have a very fast and happy Bolivian ram lol

Any recommendations on type of Cory's? Is 4 enough or should I get 6? Finally can I mix them. For example 2 peppered, 2 pandas. Will they school or do they only like to hang out with same type of Cory's.

Already have the harlequins so they are staying. Getting Rams gives me an excuse to get a bigger tank

Depends on the individual fish there, lol, I don't know what the percentage is but it honestly, in my experience, comes down keeping them introduced at the same size and making sure their adult size is the same, it would be good to introduce then all at the same time to the tank too

So just get 4 of same kind at same time. Really want them to school.

Already have the harlequins so they are staying. Getting Rams gives me an excuse to get a bigger tank

Yay for you- get yourself a 75g- 90g for those guys!! Harlequins and cories :) have you looked at odessa barbs, diamond tetra or neon Rosy barbs??

You know, I hadn't considered cories in with the ram. My tank doesn't have cories, so then it probably isn't too bad. But with cories, I think that yeah, it would be bad.

So just get 4 of same kind at same time. Really want them to school.

I would get panda cories but youve got to have sand for cories so that there whiskers arent worn down by gravel. Pandas grow to 2 inches and are playfull and there colors are pretty nice

Yay for you- get yourself a 75g- 90g for those guys!! Harlequins and cories :) have you looked at odessa barbs, diamond tetra or neon Rosy barbs??

No type of ram needs a 75-90g minimum. I have 2 GBRs in my 20g long and they live happily with my krib female and my 4 zebra danios.

No type of ram needs a 75-90g minimum. I have 2 GBRs in my 20g long and they live happily with my krib female and my 4 zebra danios.

Of course they don't need it, but if you want to house a few pairs you wind up catching the cichlid bug that minimum requirement gives room to add a mid sized cichlid like a rainbow and a couple hoplo cats or other schooler and makes maintenance for a novice easy and gives them wiggle room if they forget a water change for a weekend or the like... Though I've noticed they (rams) like densely planted with open areas of sandy substrate, in a tank of over 30g... I am basing this on what I've seen with my own rams
The person knew that, almost all fish would appreciate the biggest tank possible!!!

You could fit 3 males and 8 females of different ram types together happily in a 55 gallon with bottom feeders and schooling fish.

Back
Top Bottom