20g stocking list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently came across a 20 gallon aquarium, and am hoping to upgrade from my 10 in the fall. It currently contains 2 platies and hopefully soon a honey gourami and 3-4 Pygmy cories. I was thinking this list might be pushing the limits of my tank, especially since I have a fluval U2 internal filter, and because I currently have gravel which isn't preferable for cories, and they would want a few more buddies anyway. And a few other reasons, but any way, when I upgrade, would it be alright if I added 4-5 ottos to this list for the future?
I am currently feeding my platies nutrafin tropical flakes (bought it before I knew better) omega one veggie flakes, and freeze dried bloodworms. I know they're not the best, but freeze dried is my only option for them currently. Do they have any nutritional value at all? Everywhere I read it's different. But if I added wardleys sinking pellets (I couldn't find hikari sinking wafers anywhere!) and some algae wafers will the list meet the needs for these fish? Maybe some tubifex worms if I ever come across any. I tried giving the platies some cucumber and peas, but they weren't too excited about them. Maybe il try zucchini or something later.
Any thoughts?

I think that you'll be able to put in the ottos, but do that after the tank has been established and has algae for them to eat. I would put the cory count up to 5-6 because they enjoy being with the same species. I'm not sure on the food selections...

I'll probably be growing some algae outside on rocks for a while haha :) If I get them sooner I will probably keep them in the 10 where's there's plenty of brown algae to munch on.

Many people in the hobby seem to look down on freeze-dried food, I have no idea why though.

IMO otos belong in that twenty, they will have much more room to swim and will be very happy. :) If you're going to add a honey DG, your cory school and your platy with the otos I think you'll be perfectly stocked.

Also, I know you've probably already seen this but it doesn't hurt to take a look: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Hope this helped! :)

Haha, I can't tell you how many timesaver read that thread while I was doing my ten lol. Ive got my Ace brand ammo (which is hard to get since I'm in Canada) and my new seeding material, and my API master kit all ready to go. :)
And if I put the ottos in the ten, it will only be temporary until I get some nice algae :)

Back
Top Bottom