29 Gallon Planted Tank Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

addisonnolann

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone! I’ve been keeping fish on and off for about ten years now, but I’ve got an itch to venture into planted tank territory. I’ve never attempted a planted tank, but I’m excited to start! I have two betta’s currently that are around 2. I don’t plan on starting the tank until they pass, although given the variability of betta life spans that may change.

I’d like to document my journey for myself to look back on, as well as to allow other plant newbies a place to learn. That being said, I have no idea what I’m doing, so any and all help is appreciated! To start, I have a 29 galleon top fin aquarium kit. I’ve had it sitting empty for a good amount of time. I’m unsure if the light it came with is enough for a low-tech tank? I know the 29 gallon is on the deeper side so perhaps I’ll need a stronger light.

I have no idea what plants I’d like. Hardy, forgiving plants of course, but I’m at a loss as to which plants fit that bill. I’d like a nice carpet plant as well as some taller plants for variability. I’d like the tank to look like a lush jungle when I’m done. We’ll see how that goes!

As for stocking, I’m a bit conflicted. I’d love to get a red cherry shrimp colony going (sticking with neocardina- for now). I intend on heavily planting as I’d like to encourage breeding. I’d love to add some corydoras as well. I know that runs the risk the shrimplets getting eaten, but I’m hoping the aquascape I create minimizes this. Anyone have success with this?

If possible, I wouldn’t mind adding some fish. I’m completely open to any and all suggestions. If the consensus is that I cannot add fish while keeping a decent colony of shrimp, I will nix the fish.

Lots of info, I know. I’m essentially looking for any and all tips for starting a planted tank, and owning shrimp. I intend on getting a shrimp substrate. Recommendations? I am confident in my ability to keep fish, so I’m not starting from scratch. As I progress in my journey, I will update! For now though, I’d love some advice and for people to follow my planted tank attempt!

i tried to grow elodea but it died
im going to try growing jungle val plants next

For substrate I would recommend planting substrate with some gravel to top it off. That way depending on what plants you get if they take in nutrients from the soil then they have that soil. I would also recommend some iron and flourish tabs/liquid to add to your water. They provide nutrients to the plants. Iron is 100% needed especially for floating plants. I can’t speak on the light but I would suggest trying it and if it doesn’t work I have a light to recommend since I also own a planted 29 gallon tank. Some fish would be good to add to help the plants with carbon. The leftover fish food would also benefit your cherry shrimp. Plant wise you should find a personal owned fish store nearby and they could also help you and get you some good plants. I would personally recommend Anubias. It’s a good mid ground plant. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom