29 Gallon Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caspar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 Gallon setup and have started cycling with 3 Swordtails. I have a stocking scheme and wanted to run this by the forum to make sure that I am not stretching things a bit...

3 Swordtails
8 Pristellas
6 Lemons or Bleeding Heart Tetras
2 Dwarf Gouramis
4 Corys

My tank is a Regent/Aqua-tech and I am guessing that the filter is not top of the line :roll: , I do plan on installing a sponge filter and powerhead within the next week or so to provide more surface area for the aerobic bacteria to grow on.

Thanks!

I have no idea if that's too many fish, but I know others will chime in.
You may potentially have an issue with 2 Dwarf Gouramis - they can be very aggressive towards each other (and other Gourami species). You might want just one.

joannde said:
I have no idea if that's too many fish, but I know others will chime in.
You may potentially have an issue with 2 Dwarf Gouramis - they can be very aggressive towards each other (and other Gourami species). You might want just one.

I was planning on a male/female pair, does this help to solve their agression?

i dont think that is too many fish. my 29 gallon has 6 pristellas, 5 glowlight, a gae, oto and peacock eel. everyone has plenty of space and im thinking of adding a few guppies or something (my whole tank has turned bottom dweller on me)

If you can get female dwarf gouramis...get 2 and then 1 male. That will hopefully make sure that he doesn't torture her (if you only have one). Gourami males can be mean to each other and to females as well, so I'd be safe.

Pristellas and Lemons are some great tetras...the tank will look great!

m/f *should* cut down on aggression, but it's no guarantee. Gouramis seem to be perfectly happy alone (don't seem to get lonely for other gouramis), so if you aren't interested in trying to breed them, having only one might be the way to go. For a long time in my 29g community tank I had one pearl gourami as my centerpiece fish and it worked out really well; sadly when I was gone on vacation for 2 weeks this summer and a friend was taking care of my tank he died. Just recently I've gotten a gold gourami to replace him, but he's much more on the shy side than my old pearl one.

I have three dwarf gouramis in my 42 gallon, two seem to get along while one chases the other two. They do not bother the other fish at all and don't seem to stress each other out. Any aggression is after feeding when they are most active.

Thank you all for your replies. Regarding the Gouramis, would adding one more fish to this scheme overload the tank?

i have

1 marigold swordtail
2 silvertip tetras
2 long-finned serpae tetras
1 giant black sailfin molly
2 gold dust mollies
1 silver molly
1 red wag platy
1 gold twinbar platy
1 red platy
1 sunset variatus platy
1 julii cory catfish

everyone seems to be doign fine

Caspar said:
Thank you all for your replies. Regarding the Gouramis, would adding one more fish to this scheme overload the tank?
Everyone has their own view on "overstocking" a tank. One of the biggest limiting factors is how often you will do PWCs. Water quality is very important to not stress the fish too much and allow them to thrive. Also, some fish need more space than others due to territorial/aggressiveness.

If you can keep the water within acceptable conditions and make sure that the fish aren't getting too stressed by each other, you should very well be able to add a couple more gouramis.

Back
Top Bottom